Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 03-19-2018

Congrats on your new Bird! Looks great - love the paint. Van's (NoGas) comments are spot on. This isn't a good part time diversion, but a fantastic all-consuming passion! You will likely develop a impractical love for these machines that is hard to describe and difficult for the uninitiated to understand . Lots of experience and resources to draw from here to help you get up to speed. Welcome!
'76 FC35 SB (project)
'91 SP36 (sold)
2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4 toad
A whole herd of English Bull Terriers

Live long and Wander.
Old 03-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panheadguy View Post
Looks like a '79 xv to me

Sure does.

Back to wanna be status
Old 03-19-2018

I have purchased on EBay sight unseen - yep - however have not paid the full amount (only a $500 deposit) as of yet - and will see it before handing over the balance. I have a close friend/truck mechanic whom hopefully will go down to pick it up for me.

So yep - ready to buy new tires - - and if it is a described should be in decent shape.

1978 FC - Rear Bath
Chassis 12093 - Body 38474 - Engine 3208A
Bought: June 29, 2018
Old 03-19-2018
Campground Owner

Welcome to the zoo. I bought mine site unseen. One of the best things I have done. Years and years of good times.
Come see us some time.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 03-19-2018

Purchased mine on EBAY, was surprised when I won. Sight unseen, other than description and photos, mine turned out better than expected. Good luck, trip home was nerve-racking but very exciting! I fretted over every little thing! Got me home and continues to purr along.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 03-19-2018

Good Morning Robert.

Congratulations on a major life changing event. I suspect you will enjoy and make many good memories with your new bus.

My wife and I know the feeling of shock you are experiencing. It is sorta overwhelming to think that I’m going to have this beast in my yard and I’m going to need to provide care and feed for it. But soon you will grow to enjoy it and when the good times start rolling in, you will be glad you purchased it.

You will probably get another shock if you come down here to New Braunfels to pick it up. It will have little things that are wrong and you will have second thoughts about taking possession. Just remember it’s 40 years old and it has good bones. If it runs and drives decent then all the little convenience items can be refurbished later. Don’t forget that you’re only paying about the same amount of money as a used Kia can be bought for. And I know a used Kia will lose value lots faster than this Bird.

I just bought a 1968 Jeepster and have some of the same feelings that you do. Trying to convince myself and my wife that it just requires a shift in mental standing when you get behind the wheel. It won’t do 75 down the freeway in quiet air conditioned comfort but I didn’t want a new one like everyone else is making payments on. I wanted an old one that I could tinker with and enjoy at a slower pace.

Stay away from Austin traffic at all costs. Go out west a little and head north on 281. Get a feeling for the bus before you get mixed up with stop and go 80 mph bumper to bumper traffic. Besides, that’s a pretty drive.

Head up towards Weatherford TX. If I’m home, you can stop by here and we can address an item or two that might make your trip home more comfortable.

Good luck with finishing up the purchase.

Max Hendrix.
Cell. 817-3one2-two two zero eight. Text is best. I don’t usually answer unknown numbers.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 03-19-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyclegg View Post
Welcome to the zoo. I bought mine site unseen. One of the best things I have done. Years and years of good times.
Come see us some time.
I purchased mine sight unseen. But I bought mine off Randy’s site, buybuybirdie. That gave me the confidence in the bird I was getting, I also had someone off the WOG go check it out(thanks Jim). At that price I’m sure your expecting to work on it. As it’s been said, if it’s really not what you expected cash out and as hard as it may be walk. Lots of people bite off more than they can chew, get in for more than they can afford to pay to fix stuff and never even get on the road. Set reasonable expectations(these things eat money sometimes). I would suggest spend the money go down and see it yourself, if it’s good drive it home it’s a good way to get to know your coach and how it drives.

You probably got a good deal, but will need to do some work like all these old birds need.

Talk about sight unseen, Jon Cylegg where’d you go, living the dream in the Maggie Valley ?
Old 03-19-2018

Robert, First congratulations! I think it is a beautiful bus. You will get attention everywhere you go!

I also bought mine sight unseen in an eBay auction. I had corresponded with the owner before the auction, using the Vintage Birds purchase checklist. The previous owner had given me a response for every item. I told him after I won the auction that I would purchase on condition that everything he had stated proved to be true. It turned out he had been honest and I turned over the money and he turned over the Wanderlodge.

Some advice. Spend as much time as you can going over all the systems with the previous owner. Bring a notebook and make copious notes. If they are agreeable get permission to contact them with questions.

Get the information on reading the date codes on the tires. I was lucky and could replace 2 a year for the first 3 years. That is paying dividends now as I can continue replacing them 2 at a time. They are expensive. There is a lot of redundancy in the "house" systems. You have 3 furnaces and 3 air conditioners. If one doesn't work you will still be OK. The basic infrastructure - Water - does it work and when you are using the internal pump does the pump only come on when you are running water - Propane - do the burners on the range work, do you smell propane - 12 Volt - how are the batteries, do the lights (water pump, furnaces) work, are probably critical before you try to take a trip. Be aware that these busses will only sit over 2 nights before they drain the house batteries! They have a high parasitic load.

How far are you drivin to get home? Is it cold where you are going?

Best of luck and Welcome!
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 03-20-2018

Robert welcome to the WOG. I have to warn you once you have been bitten by the Blue Bird bug its hard to focus on anything else. I can tell you the WOG will be your best resource for most any issues you will encounter. Congratulations on your bird it looks great
1999 Blue Bird 43LXi
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788
Old 03-20-2018

Hey from Sylvania Township. Just up 475 a couple of miles. FC looks great. Congratulations Robert.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther