Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-02-2020

Default Fresh water tank fixed & Water pumps not working

This past week I removed my fresh water tank to find a leak. I found the leak coming from a crack where the previous owner tried to patch it with epoxy. After asking around what would be the best fix I decided to get it plastic welded. I found a marine shop here in Cape Coral Florida that does plumbing on boats. They were able to take a strip from an old water tank and weld it over the crack. I filled the tank over the repair spot before putting it back in and it no longer leaks. I have attached picture of before and after.

Once I put the tank back in and filled it up the pumps are no longer working. It kicked on when I first turned them on and then nothing. The switch light would not even come on. After looking on WOG for a bit I found the info on the fuse panel in the closet and reset the 15amp fuse for the pumps. Once the pump is turned back on it pops the fuse after about 20-30 seconds. The pumps never turn on during that time and no water is coming out of the faucet. I checked the lines that go to the pumps and water is getting to them. Not really sure what to do. Any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200128_190023-web.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	66129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_163341-web.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	66130  

Moh Machuga
Full-Time USA
Bushnell, FL
1997 WB 41'
Old 02-02-2020

Did you do anything to the pumps? Disconnect them? If you did, need to double check the wiring and make sure its connected properly.

If not sounds like it may have just crapped out... would be good if you can check how many amps its drawing.. if you do not have a way to read the amps, you could turn it on while looking at the main DC amp gauge and see if its spiking up when you try to turn it on. That would be an indication the motor is locked up or shorted out... which is what I am guessing is happening, and that is tripping the breaker.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohTechy View Post
This past week I removed my fresh water tank to find a leak. I found the leak coming from a crack where the previous owner tried to patch it with epoxy. After asking around what would be the best fix I decided to get it plastic welded. I found a marine shop here in Cape Coral Florida that does plumbing on boats. They were able to take a strip from an old water tank and weld it over the crack. I filled the tank over the repair spot before putting it back in and it no longer leaks. I have attached picture of before and after.

Once I put the tank back in and filled it up the pumps are no longer working. It kicked on when I first turned them on and then nothing. The switch light would not even come on. After looking on WOG for a bit I found the info on the fuse panel in the closet and reset the 15amp fuse for the pumps. Once the pump is turned back on it pops the fuse after about 20-30 seconds. The pumps never turn on during that time and no water is coming out of the faucet. I checked the lines that go to the pumps and water is getting to them. Not really sure what to do. Any help would be great.
We had a similar issue - crack was on top and DW patched with this black tape the use in marine applications and so far after a year we haven’t had an issue with leak! From there anyway!

But once the leak was fixed the pump didn’t work! While it seemed to work, the pump was bad, I replaced it and all’s been A ok!

Here is the one I got! A bit noisy but I understand all are given it’s right underneath the bed!

SHURFLO Aqua KingTM II Premium Fresh Water Pump - 12VDC, 4.0 GPM (56056) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJVJQNC..._LaVnEb745E91F

Good luck,

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 02-02-2020

Pull the pump. Hook it up to a battery direct (with a 30 amp fuse of course) If it blows that fuse, new pump...... Wait doesn't your bird have 2 pumps?

Looks like you found a good welder!
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
Pull the pump. Hook it up to a battery direct (with a 30 amp fuse of course) If it blows that fuse, new pump...... Wait doesn't your bird have 2 pumps?

Randy,

We did that, hooked it up to 12 volt battery pack, don’t remember the fuse, but the pump would come on but would shutoff after a short while. I finally gave up and ordered a new one just to have another pump and sure enough the new one worked just fine!

Tossed the old one!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 02-02-2020

When my freshwater pump was going out it would work intermittently. The motor was also getting noticeable hot. New pump fixed all of that.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post

Yes, I have 2 pumps but neither are working. I will try hooking them up to a battery directly with a fuse.

Moh Machuga
Full-Time USA
Bushnell, FL
1997 WB 41'
Old 02-02-2020

If neither work, I would check the fuse, which you did, then I would suspect the selector switch, mine is in the bathroom. The one that selects pump 1, pump 2, or both. That might explain why power is not getting to the pumps.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 02-02-2020

Got pump A to start working by slowly adding pressure and suction to the pump by turning these knobs. I tried this the other day and it did not work. With pump B, it pops the fuse as soon as it turns on. This one was not working that well to begin with so I will look into replacing it soon. Thank you all for the help.

Any suggestions on a good replacement pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_140747-web.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	66133  

Moh Machuga
Full-Time USA
Bushnell, FL
1997 WB 41'
Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Got pump A to start working by slowly adding pressure and suction to the pump by turning these knobs. I tried this the other day and it did not work. With pump B, it pops the fuse as soon as it turns on. This one was not working that well to begin with so I will look into replacing it soon. Thank you all for the help.
Quote:
Any suggestions on a good replacement pump?
See post #3 for consideration.

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net