Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 09-26-2018

Shopping for insurance the past few days. Occasional moments of physical violence run through my mind while speaking with the Thum and other agencies whose agents could 1. Be AI 2. Have suffered a partial lobotomy or 3. Hates his job, is on antidepressants and is evasive with answering direct questions regarding the policies they sell. OMG , does anyone else feel the delicate insertion of the corn cob up your rear end in these exchanges of securing insurance. I mean I know I do not suffer fools well but my goodness.

The previous discussions here have been a helpful resource but this insurance world is dynamic and it’s clear to me everything is algorithmic based and the agent is just an obstacle that gives the illusion of value in exchange for a commission skimmed off the top. Even John supplying appraisals every 2 years is not practical logistically or fiscally sensible.

Looks like it’s going to be ACV policy , roll the dice , self insure for any loss not covered.

Any additional insights welcomed and encouraged.
Craig.haedrich@hotmail.com
717 743-8764
“In a time of deceit, telling the truth becomes revolutionary “
Old 09-26-2018

My apologies to those of you on antidepressants
717 743-8764
Old 09-26-2018

Craig,

We have had American Family (may not be available in all areas) insurance for decades on our house, cars, and rv’s. We have had claims on all at one time or another, and could not be more pleased with the service. Two separate claims on the bus and had their adjuster come to our house and write checks on the spot for more than I expected. Our local bodyshops and roofing contractors love American Family because they pay appropriately, and do not nickel and dime on repairs. The cost for the bus policy was 600 per year.

Jeff Mark
Mt. Vernon, MO
1995 WB42 S-60
Old 09-26-2018

Default Blue Sky (2 yrs) to Progressive (2 yrs) to ???

Thanks Craig, you save me the trouble of venting!

Everyone else see Craig’s post above

Seems Flo wants a new diamond ring! Received Progressive (sponsored by USAA) quote for next month’s renewal, which would’ve been their 3rd year. The first year, Progressive Agreed Value with 1 Mil liability’s was reasonable compared to everyone else’s ACV. Second year their cost nearly doubled. For next year, it didn’t double again but close .

Called Good Sam after receiving flyer in the mail. Guess who provides their underwriting? Yup, Progressive! USAA should be ashamed to be associated with those crooks

Went back and reviewed this thread again (it’s educational) and following it once again. Decision soon which may involve at least partial self-insure or Gxx forbid - ACV
Old 09-27-2018

Jeff Mark, I’ll check to see if in PA. TY.
717 743-8764
Old 09-27-2018
RV Appraiser

I don't sell insurance but over the years I have slept in a few Holiday Expresses. As for insurance companies and the coverage they offer you can pretty much assume that you’re at their mercy, they’re in the business to make money, not lose it or pay it out. You must do your homework, there are about a dozen companies who offers agreed value coverage, you must read every word of your policy to make sure you’re getting what you need. With actual cash value you’re at the mercy of NADA, the insurance adjuster or internet which may have inferior comps and a loss may not be in your favor.
I try to avoid insurance companies that advertise on television, if they are making enough to pay for a multi-million advertising campaign you can pretty much be assured you’re paying for part of that bill.
I don’t like dealing with temp employees at a call center, I want a person who has been selling for years, I will write down their name, the date & time I talked to them so when I have an issue I know who it was I talked with.
I have an agreed value policy on my coach and I had to hire an independent appraiser, since I can’t appraise my own equipment. I have also filed a claim this year and Safeco paid off 100% of the repair bill, when the insurance adjuster came to our campsite at Myrtle Beach last spring I did give him my appraisal business card so he knew he was not dealing with just another motor home owner.
There is no need for an appraisal every two years. Almost every insurance company will require an appraisal for an agreed value policy once every 3 years and some may not ask for one then. I have told folks wait until you get a letter from your insurance carrier requesting one, then get an updated appraisal. With an agreed value policy, and the insurance company not needing an appraisal once every three years you have protection in potential loss. With agreed value coverage the insurance valuation will remain the same for three years, without it your coach will depreciate on average of about 6% or more per year and over a three-year period that adds up. With the initial purchase on a 100,000 coach, over three years you’ll lose potentially 17 grand without it. With an appraisal and agreed value coverage that 100,000 valuation will remain the same till the end of 36 months or maybe longer. When I win the lottery or my coach depreciates another 30 thousand or so I too may go with an actual cash policy but until then I’ll write that check for the agreed value coverage and all that is needed to get it.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 09-27-2018

John , your experience , wisdom and insight is appreciated . I read through many of the post intended to help coach the the membership here from the many contributors in this thread.

I tell them that the call is being recorded for quality purposes and historical record of this conversation.

Update Progressive... just the name of the company should tell you they can’t be trusted . 2000 LXI 43 requested quotes for AGV based on 90 k value and ACV.
Asked about the AGV only applying to total loss and was told that was correct and that the extent of coverage AGV for my make and model would be limited to 75k based on the age of coach. Makes no sense to pay additional premium.No mention of appraisal to substantiate value.

ACV ...the books would be used to determine payout NADA or Blue Book which rated value at greater than what the AGV total loss payment would be. ACV premium with max medical amts and liability coverages , funeral , lost wages , trip insurance ( when you take LSD and do something stupid) I said sure I could use that . $ 661.00

What a scam this all is , we are at there mercy, we must carry insurance.

I will go ACV , self insure for any additional loss by putting big boy pants on, think positive and say a prayer before each journey .
717 743-8764