Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-17-2011

Default control power to Big Foot levelers

After 4000 miles on the current trip (now heading east in western Ontario on our way home) with no issues with my (new to me) m380, I have lost power to the control panel for the Big Foot levelers. Unfortunately all my electrical drawings do not match what is installed on my coach. The schematics inticate that the power is supplied from the front load center (just inside the front door) from a 7.5 amp circuit breaker. On my coach the decal on the load center door has had the writing removed in the area where the leveler circuit breaker should be and there is no circuit breaker in that position. In fact, I can find no circuit breaker labeled for the leveling system in any of the load centers.

Do any of you fellow m380 owners have info as to where I should look next??

Also, assuming I cannot find the original source, do any of you have an idea as to which of the 20 odd all white (non labeled) wires that lead into and out of the controller is the 12vdc power in.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-17-2011

Default BigFoot Hydraulic Jack system failure

Jim, I feel for you. The controller for my jacks failed not long after I got my M380 two years ago. It took me a year before I made arrangements to have Parliament replace the controller, sensor and wiring harness. The originals are no longer available. A call to John Martin or Johnnie Anderson at Parliament would be the best place to start chasing down the power to see if you have an easy fix. I will attach a copy of the BigFoot installation manual which gives you bit of info that might be useful.

During the year that it took me to get down to Clearwater, I manually controlled my jacks using a homemade rig with 4 SPDT manual switches. These switches were wired with a plug (from Allied Electronics) that matched the sensor's 14 pin connector so no cutting was needed. Let me know if you want more info on how to rig up this patch.

good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf systeminstallationmanual.pdf (496.5 KB, 276 views)
Old 07-17-2011

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I have no reason to believe (for now) that there is any problem with the controller other than no input power. I will just live with no jacks for the remainder of this trip and try to trace where the power should come from after I get home. If the controller turns out to be bad, I would appreciate any info you have on a fix to run the jacks manually. I lived with a manual system for 10 years with the SP and could certainly do so with the m380.
Old 07-17-2011

Jim, send me your email address and I will forward you a schematic, parts list and photos of my manual control.
Old 03-15-2016

Default M380 - no power to leveler panel - help!

Realize this is an old thread and that Jim B is likely now working on his new solar system for that LXi . However, I'm wondering if a solution to the 'No Power' problem described in post 1 above was ever found?

For quite a while my leveler manual-off-auto switch required some "jiggling" of the power switch to get it to power up & work correctly. However, when I came out to the coach today to do my backsplash tile job I couldn't lower jacks because there was no power to the overhead panel.

Eric Johnson's M380 circuit breaker panel chart says the leveler power comes from the compressor bay panel, column five, rows three and five. Those have power and the fuses are good. I even switched to a couple of old-style blade fuses just to be sure for the troubleshooting. Are there any others? Pulled the connectors from the overhead control panel back and found that unlike Jim's my white wires are labeled . So pulled the smaller 10-pin power switch connector and checked GND - BATTERY - SYSTEM POWER. With accessory key ON they are all dead .

Called Bigfoot in Minnesota and a nice tech named Eric answered. He said of course, that there is no original replacement panel available. However, he did say they have a new adapted one with the same Auto extension that includes a new sensor box about the size of the package of cigarettes. He says the overhead panel is wired to this box and it is usually located under the dash. I haven't gotten far enough to check and see if I can find it yet (and I don't have my wiring diagrams at the coach). But he said this sensor often causes this power loss problem. He said the relatively easy fix is a completely new panel "kit" that requires replacing the sensor box. I specifically asked if just the sensor box could replaced or adapted to the plug-in at the old control panel and he said no. He did say it's a fairly easy install once you find the sensor box. Cost for the new panel "kit" is $595 .

My wiring diagrams are at home so I'm going ahead with the tile job for now. Hope that some of the WOG experts have a simpler and less expensive solution. Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	41372  
Old 03-15-2016

Per Jim's suggestion I checked the 3 big fuses in the box inboard of the Aux PDU panel above the battery bank. Said that was how he solved his issue. Sadly, with ALL power off mine checked at zero Ohm's (not open) across each Should I remove and replace anyway? Is it possible for a fuse to read zero Ohm's across it and still be blown?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	189
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	41373  
Old 03-15-2016

Make sure you have 12+volts on the terminals at the lower fuse.
Old 03-15-2016

Unfortunately, power back ON & they both have 12.4v . Just sent Dan an email...
Old 03-15-2016

Default FIXED!

Before I gave up completely, I pulled both plugs from the panel. Sprayed them liberally with contact cleaner and plugged back in. Turned the 12v back on and as if by magic, the panel has power now!! In the airplane business, mechanics are always "reseating the canon plugs". Now I know why

Thanks everyone for your patience while I worked this through. Now back to your regularly scheduled program...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	174
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	41374  
Old 03-16-2016

[QUOTE=NoGas;333041]In the airplane business, mechanics are always "reseating the canon plugs". Now I know why
QUOTE]

As an ex-aircraft avionics mechanic I can assure I fixed many aircraft systems by reseating components and reseating cannon plugs.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad