Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-08-2011

Default Got Home

Hello All!
I got home from Boise at 5:30 this evening with my new to me wanderlodge (well named but I'll come back to that) At this point I have way more questions than answers so I'll only ask a few at a time and give my old brain time to absorb things. It is definitly turbo but doesn't have the hump but was ordered that way according to the build sheet? How does the vacuum system work? I'm still chasing manuals. what is the round pop machine style key on the drivers side ft fender do? I will get under it in the next couple of days or so but there is a steering issue, without looking it feels like pitman arm, you have to herd it down the road.
Thanks for everything
Old 11-08-2011
Forum Moderator

Kelly the round key was to operate the burglar alarm system. Glad you're home safe so go ahead now and ask your questions. We're here to help
Old 11-08-2011

The single largest issue in getting that FC down the road in your own lane is to learn to RELAX. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-09-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuck View Post
Hello All!
I got home from Boise at 5:30 this evening with my new to me wanderlodge (well named but I'll come back to that) At this point I have way more questions than answers so I'll only ask a few at a time and give my old brain time to absorb things. It is definitly turbo but doesn't have the hump but was ordered that way according to the build sheet? How does the vacuum system work? I'm still chasing manuals. what is the round pop machine style key on the drivers side ft fender do? I will get under it in the next couple of days or so but there is a steering issue, without looking it feels like pitman arm, you have to herd it down the road.
Thanks for everything

Hi Kelly,

Do us and yourself a favor and add the model (RB rear bath SB side bath) of FC that you have to your signature, then when you are asking separate non related questions put them in different threads, that helps keep the replies on topic.

While I was recently coming to the end of my long summer trip I had new Michelin's installed on the front of my 'Bird at RATS and since I was at the mileage where I would be needing a complete lube job, I couldn't help but notice how much more wandering I had on my 'Bird, once I had the front Kingpins properly lubed with the weight removed from the front axle, the mechanic jacked up one side to remove the weight and I turned the steering wheel to the right and then left slowly while he shot grease into the fitting and then repeated the same process on the other side, it was a drastic change in how it wandered less.

Here are some threads to read through about the FC steering and related issues;

HOW TO TAKE THE WANDER OUT OF THE WANDERLODGE
A Feature Of The Month from the old forum with detailed pictures and descriptions of things that can be replaced and adjusted to help eliminate some of the wandering that seems to be common with the older model Wanderlodges, there are many pages to this feature, just click on NEXT at the right of each page to go to the next one.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Taking some more of the wander out of the Wanderlodge

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Rear Suspension Panhard Rod Bolt Failure Warning And Repair

If you haven't seen my web site check it out there are a lot of tips you can use and explanations about different FC issues;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > FC Modification Photo & Descriptions Of John Finn's 'Bird.

Here is another good FC thread Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > New FC owner tip sheet

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-09-2011

Default Got Home

Welcome home Kelly, sounds like everything went well for you during your maiden voyage.

You will find everything you need right here in this group, please note there are no "Silly" questions.

Good luck with your "New to You" bird, looking forward to seeing your pictures.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad
Old 11-09-2011

Welcome to the WOG, check the bolts holding the steering sector (gear box) and you may find some looseness. Have a helper turn the steering wheel left and right while watching the steering box for movement. Tighten bolts as required. Others will jump in with more places to look for steering slack.

Try to relax and to not keep a 'death grip' on the steering wheel. Have fun with the new Wanderlodge.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 11-09-2011

Thanks for all the greetings and advice I updated my signature and have begun my ever so steep learning curve!
Old 11-09-2011
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuck View Post
Thanks for all the greetings and advice I updated my signature and have begun my ever so steep learning curve!

Side bath or rear bath? It makes a difference when asking about placement and how to troubleshoot lots of things.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-09-2011
Itchintogo

Hi Kelly,

How are things in Medicine Toque? I have about a million miles logged an that stretch between Calgary and your town. Still have some friends there.

Glad to hear you made it home OK. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but it is easy to check the front end. Just have someone rock the steering wheel and look for movement in the suspension bushings, steering gear etc. Make sure it is safe to be under the bus first!

There used to be a shop up behind the Husky that would do work like this. Is it still there?

Guys there is so much natural gas under Medicine Hat I think Kipling wrote of Medicine Hat as having "**** for a basement"'

Cheers
Old 11-09-2011

Hi There!
It's a side bath I guess on the next thread it will update my signature. There is definitely an issue as it's not really a wander it's more like a richochet. there's a bunch of dead travel in the steering so I'll get it into a shop and see what is what, there's lots of things to repair over time. I found the Vac system. along with most of the Bluebird Parts department. : ) My Manuals are in the mail from the dealer I bought it from it seems the salesman had them in his office and forgot to get them to me so I'll poke around till they get here. Gary, as interesting a drive as it is from Calgary to here I have to wonder what made you log so many miles back and forth? In my research I ran across someone who maintains a database of owners, is that something I should update?