Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-12-2012

Default Generator is not charging the battery

During my Last trIp the Genset stopped working and acted like it was fuel starved. It did this once before and it turned out to to be the bleeder valve was cracked open and let air into the system. It seemed to be the same problem but the valve was closed and there was plenty of fuel in the filter. The battery had gone dead and wouldn't take a charge so I replaced it.

I restarted the genny and it wouldn't start until I cracked the bleeder and then it ran like a top until I shut it down 30 minutes later. So it would seem that there wasn't enough voltage to run the fuel pump? I would have thought the alternator would supply the electrical needs after starting.

On the panel above the driver it has a DC amp gauge which says "battery charge" and it reads 0 amps while the genny's running. The battery was a four year old WalMart so I don't have a issue replacing it. But I am guessing that the alternator is not working.

Is there a way to check the output without removing it? Anybody think I'm on the right track?

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 09-13-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

The highlighted section of Franks post below would also apply to your genset alternator issues.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > Alternator Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
Can you report what your ammeter is showing...say at idle and at driving speed? Are you showing a good "+" rate?

Some things worth checking that come to my mind are: check the alt belt for proper tension; put a voltmeter on alt terminals and read volt output directly; check all batterys for proper water level and good connections.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-13-2012

Thanks John!

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 09-13-2012
davidmbrady

Hi Ed,

The fuel bleed valve is supposed to be cracked open a quarter turn or so. This allows excess fuel to be returned to the tank.

The 'DC Charge' gauge measures charging current to and from the house batteries and chassis batteries when the 'aux batt' switch is thrown. It doesn't have anything to do with the genny battery.

Start the generator and put a voltage meter on the battery terminals. If the alternator is charging then battery voltage should be between 13.8 and 15V, give or take. A fully charged battery at rest should read 12.6V
Old 09-14-2012

David, just so I am understanding you, the small thumbscrew which operates the fuel bleeder valve should be opens a quarter or so? This is the one on the upper right side of the engine just below the injectors or mixing box ( don't know what you call it)?

Am I right in thinking that the battery is for starting purposes only and that once started the alternator would provide whatever electricity the engine needs. So if the battery was dead as a door ail and the alternator didn't alternate, the engine would probably not run? I am just trying to understand why the engine quit running. I will test the alternator this afternoon.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 09-14-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlegue2 View Post
David, just so I am understanding you, the small thumbscrew which operates the fuel bleeder valve should be opens a quarter or so? This is the one on the upper right side of the engine just below the injectors or mixing box ( don't know what you call it)?

Am I right in thinking that the battery is for starting purposes only and that once started the alternator would provide whatever electricity the engine needs. So if the battery was dead as a door ail and the alternator didn't alternate, the engine would probably not run? I am just trying to understand why the engine quit running. I will test the alternator this afternoon.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Ed

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators > Powertech Generators Files & Factory Information

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11