Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-17-2013

Default Xantrex battery charger setup

I bought a 60-amp Truecharge2. Just called their technical support line. I almost had to educate the person answering the call as to what is the difference between shinola and a battery

I noticed on several threads here that members recommend keeping the original battery boilers as either a boost to charge back up faster or as backups.

Is it ok to have a switch that adds one battery boiler to the charging circuit for quick charges. Most of the time it would be off and the Xantrex would be managing the charge. The goal would be to only use it for maximum charging when boondocking and running the generator to replenish the batteries.

I'm installing 4 Costco golf cart batteries so my 12-volt 20 hour rate is 440 AH. Adding one of my chargers to the circuit would give me 100 amps (20 amps above the stock configuration of two 40-amp). This is a C/4.4 charge rate which is a high rate. You would want to watch the xantrex display and switch the extra charger off as soon as it switches to float. The generator battery is also in the mix so this would bring the charge rate down a bit.

Xantrex is supposed to call me back but I really don't think the tech. support even understood what I was asking them.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 01-17-2013

Just use the Xantrex by itself. I had a Truecharge 40+ and it maintained six 6V golf cart batteries just fine. Your thoughts on keeping the boiler are sound- but you should only have to use it when boodocking in places where you want to cut down on genny usage. In 95% of the applications, the Xantrex will work better on its own.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-17-2013

What Shane said ! I had a truecharge 40 charging 6 4d wet cells. never had a problem
Austintown,Ohio
Old 01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Just use the Xantrex by itself. I had a Truecharge 40+ and it maintained six 6V golf cart batteries just fine. Your thoughts on keeping the boiler are sound- but you should only have to use it when boodocking in places where you want to cut down on genny usage. In 95% of the applications, the Xantrex will work better on its own.
That is how I was thinking - was just worried about any feedback to the Xantrax from the boiler being turned on at the same time.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 01-17-2013

Patric I think Mr. Finn carries his old boiler just as a spare it is not wired into the system
Austintown,Ohio
Old 01-17-2013
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
That is how I was thinking - was just worried about any feedback to the Xantrax from the boiler being turned on at the same time.
I don't think that'd be a problem. If battery voltage is less than 14.0V or so then both chargers are happy delivering max current. When voltage hits 14.0 or greater voltage, then the Xantrex smart charger will back-off into absorption. At this transition is when you want to flip off the boiler.
Old 01-18-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefixr66 View Post
Patric I think Mr. Finn carries his old boiler just as a spare it is not wired into the system

Check out Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > Another use for the old Triad Charger Battery Boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
A lot of us have found out that the old Triad "BATTERY BOILER" battery chargers have died and they usually get thrown away, well I revived mine, or should I say a buddy of mine did that for me and I have been carrying it with me to use as a spare charger, or to lend out to others if their charger has quit on them at a rally, or to use to charge the batteries in another vehicle and even to hook up to the battery terminals of one of my house batteries while dry camping, but that involved moving the charger hooking up the battery cables and using an extension cable.

Now all I do is change the battery cables with the clamps on the end, to the cables that I have wired into the house battery bank by switching them out by the quick connect ends that I have installed, makes the job a lot easier, plus the power to operate the Triad now will come from my Buddy plug that runs off of the generator, when I'm dry camping.

This sure beats dragging the thing out onto the ground and it should help charge the house batteries quicker.........you know.........MORE POWER!!!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-18-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
I noticed on several threads here that members recommend keeping the original battery boilers as either a boost to charge back up faster or as backups.

Is it ok to have a switch that adds one battery boiler to the charging circuit for quick charges. Most of the time it would be off and the Xantrex would be managing the charge. The goal would be to only use it for maximum charging when boondocking and running the generator to replenish the batteries.

I'm installing 4 Costco golf cart batteries so my 12-volt 20 hour rate is 440 AH. Adding one of my chargers to the circuit would give me 100 amps (20 amps above the stock configuration of two 40-amp). This is a C/4.4 charge rate which is a high rate. You would want to watch the xantrex display and switch the extra charger off as soon as it switches to float. The generator battery is also in the mix so this would bring the charge rate down a bit.
Pat, I also have a Xantex setup with my Costco 4x 6v battery setup. I kept my old boilers and they are still wired into the system. I merely unplugged the AC cords so they are ready for backup charging anytime. I mostly use the boilers as a spare system AND use them both when running my 900w unregulated portable genset.

Although you have 440ah of batteries you won't be charging to that capacity. Since you never take the batteries down to 50% of the charge state the max you'd ever need is 220ah. Also, the Xantrex will adjust charge rate dependent on battery temperature where as the boilers will not. I'd use the Xantrex by itself.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-18-2013
Not so Junior anymore

What works for me....
I use an Ample Smart Charger. Love it... and still have the old chargers in place, and functioning well. On top of that I have a Blue Sky solar charger controller. Now we Dry Camp a lot. If my batteries get run down more than I know the Solar system can bring them back up from... Usually only in the winter, on a bad day. I will fire up the GenSet for an hour in the early (before full sun light) morning running the old boilers. They do the heaviy lifting and get the batteries off on a good start to a charge. Then if it is the third cloudy day in a row, I will let the Smart Charger bring them up the rest of the way. If it is sunny... the Blue Sky will do the trick.....
But I have always been a special case, That is what my Mom always said anyway.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 01-18-2013

All,

Thank you for all the help! I'll try the new one by itself and see if it is sufficient to charge the bank back up after a day of boondocking. Keep the other two for backup if needed or for other charging duties. I like Finn's setup.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)