Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-27-2013

Another lesson learned. Don't store all your important stuff on the machines boot drive. Always put it on a separate disk drive. That way when that disk goes down you don't lose the important stuff.

Save the boot drive for applications only! Back it up too.

Even then back up back up back up back up back up.

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 01-28-2013

Hey Roy, I get asked questions like this often by friends, family and business associates. The first thing I ask in response, is "What do you use the machine for?". If you have specific software that only runs on Windows, then some variant of Windows is probably your best bet.

However, if all you do is use the machine for surfing the web and doing the occasional "office" document, how about trying Linux? I'm betting you could load Ubuntu Linux on your old PC and find out that it does pretty much anything you need to do. It's free and efficient. If your PC is within 3 or 4 years old, the latest version of Ubuntu will run nicely. Ubuntu also comes with Libre Office, an "open source" product that is compatible with MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc. which is also free.

If you download Ubuntu, you can create a boot CD/DVD and can try it out before installing it on your PC by running from the CD. If you decide to install, Ubuntu will allow you to create a "dual boot" system that will still have your old Windows on it as well as Ubuntu. Best of all, it's FREE and does not require you to fool around with Anti Virus Software. I've been running Ubuntu for probably 3 years at home and have no problems. Once installed, it looks very much like a cross between Windows and MAC. Here's the link to get you started: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Those of you looking for a great laptop, check out a Google Chromebook. These are really nice machines, inexpensive and run a Linux distribution named Chrome. These come loaded with Google Office. The really cool thing about some of these is that they don't even have hard drives in them, everything is stored on the "google cloud". If you machine is destroyed/lost, you just buy another one and your stuff is already backed up on line. Here's a link to a supplier:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/c...key=chromebook

Here's a link to info: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...&utm_medium=ha

A friend of mine is starting her own business. She was looking for an inexpensive laptop. I pointed her to a Chromebook and she loves it. She's taking the Google experience all the way. She got a Google Phone through T Mobile which automatically synchs with her Chromebook. Her e-mail is hosted by Google so xxx@xxx.com is actually a gmail account. On top of that, she got a phone number through Google Voice, for free, that has free calling in the U.S. and Canada which she forwards to her cell phone. When she signs into her Gmail account her voice mail is available to play and even has a text transcription of it.

If it were me, I'd load Ubuntu on your old machine and give it a shot...it will probably save you some money. The worst case scenario is you don't like it and end up buying a new PC anyway.

Good luck choosing your new machine.

Dan
P.S.: Those guys saying once you go mac...haven't tried Ubuntu! LOL

Last edited by KingBiscuit; 01-28-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2013

I have had Windows 8 on my machine for quite a while (evaluation copy). It is pretty frustrating because it seems every command you want to find is a new hide-and-seek game. I would not put it on a desktop. I would probably use it on a laptop with touchscreen though.

I also dual-boot and use Ubuntu which is my favorite and go-to OS. You may find that the performance of your old machine is much improved with Ubuntu and you may be ok without getting a new one for a while longer.

Unless you are a techie though I probably would not get a brand-new machine and try to use Ubuntu. There is usually a lag while Ubuntu catches up and makes installation seamless on new machines. In the meantime you end up doing some googling and work getting stuff to work - so depending on your personality this is either fun (me) or maddening (most everybody else).
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 01-28-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I'm not sure I have much to contribute here even though I'm in IT and work Wintel servers daily. However, when it comes to workstations (laptops) I use what works and is stable so I can work on my VMs and W2K8 servers remotely.

XP was my choice for years and until recently would stay on it. I now use Win7 for work and XP still for home. Love them both. Both are stable and both work very well for me.

From XP to Win7 Ent. of course is a huge jump in hardware needs though. My 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM home system runs just fine, but my Win7 system is a 4GB, 64-bit system.

As far as Mac, that's preference.. but I MUST stay compatible with the other 85% of the world out there so Macs aren't for me.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-28-2013
Black Sheep Division

I'm in the IT business as well and, like Michael, need to stay with Windows. I have scads of XPs, a bunch of 7s and a few 8s (not counting servers). If you are not a techie/geek, you ain't gonna' like Win8. You may not like it if you ARE a techie/geek. Steep learning curve. Lotsa' bugs....... aahhhhh sorry....... "undocumented features".

If you want/need a Windows world, stay with Win7 Pro.

TOM