Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2014

Default Hurricane Heater Operation in M-380

I've read many of the threads on this subject, but am still not certain I understand the following:

1. How does the Hydronic heat in the rear of the coach operate. I know how to turn it on and off. I also know how to turn the zone 1 and 2 of the furnace on and off. What I am trying to understand is what is the difference between the furnace and the Hydronic. Seems like there are two difference systems from the same Hurricane Heater. Is one more efficient than the other? When would you use one vs. the other? The Hydronic also seems to work when the HH domestic hot water switch is off.

(By the way, I replace both of the mechanical thermostats over the rear sink with digital ones and boy do they work great. I use the electric base board heaters when on shore power and the hydronic when dry camping. I used Braeburn model 1025NC - non-rogrammable single stage heat only thermostats.)

2. How do I (turn on) make use of the engine heat to heat the coach cabin? Is there a switch? Separate from the drive air conditioner/heater switch?
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 01-05-2014
Geek

There are three zones. 1 and 2 may be called furnace and 3 may be called hyrdonic, but they are all the same thing.

Zone 1 is the front-most three registers. Zone 2 is the single bedroom register. Zone 3 is the bathroom and toilet registers.

There are two boiler fluid loops. One encompasses the two front-most registers, and the other encompasses the other 4, so it is used by 3 zones.

The pump that circulates boiler fluid within the Hurricane can be turned on by any of three switches - the hot water switch, the engine pre-heat switch, and any of the thermostats. The latter also activate a valve in the Hurricane that opens flow out to the registers, which the hot water switch does not do. Since water is heated first, any hot water use will reduce heat output at the registers.

Engine heat to the cabin is accomplished by turning on the furnace thermostats while leaving the diesel switch off.

The loop controlled by the driver heater/ac controls is engine coolant, and is separate from the Hurricane operations.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 01-06-2014

Thanks Don, much appreciated. If I understand you correctly there is no economy to using the "zone 3" hydronic heat only because all three zones use the same boiler. Or is the boiler working less only heating zone 3 and therefore economizing on diesel fuel?

Where is the adjustment for increasing the hot water temperature?

Also when I am connected to 50 Amp shore power with the domestic hot water switch on, should I turn the hot water electric circut braker under the rear TV on to increase the electric hot water assist to the Hurricane Heater?
Old 01-06-2014
Geek

Diesel will be used until the set temperature is reached. I assume, but don't know, that heating using all three zones would mean more total diesel use.

The water temperature is set by a mixing valve inside the Hurricane, under the top cover. If you don't have the manual pages from Hurricane you can find them here: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ap_9_XL_R2.pdf and you will see the knob for the valve in the top-down view.

There are two heating elements on the Hurricane, each 1000 watts. I find that they will provide limited hot water before the burner fires, and keep things hot between uses. They are controlled by two circuit breakers, not one, and the labeling is a bit obtuse on one of them - I think it says Cooktop. It is the 5th from the left, while the one labeled water heater is 8th from the left. Undoubtedly they reduce burner usage, although it is only a relatively small amount in use - being able to leave the water heater switch on and not having the burner come on when no hot water is being used is the most helpful.
Old 01-06-2014

Thank you again Don. I will be copying this information for the operations manual I keep in the Coach. After 6 years I find I am still learning. Again, much appreciated.
Old 01-26-2014

Don,

Here is a quote from your previous post.
"Engine heat to the cabin is accomplished by turning on the furnace thermostats while leaving the diesel switch off."

What switch are you referring to when you say "diesel switch"? The one in front of the stove?

I am excited at the prospect of this ability. While we have our M380 for sale, I look forward to our next BB so more knowledge is "more power" .
While driving on very cold days in the past, I have preheated the coach before heading out to give the heat a head start. I was not aware that I could circulate or use engine heat for the coach cabin other than the dash heat.
I will email this question to you directly in case you don't get this question through a notice from the forum.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Old 01-26-2014
Geek

Yes, I call the switch in the hurricane panel below the stove the 'Diesel switch' because the burner won't come on without that one regardless of any other switches. If it is off, but the thermostat is set to "furnace" it it will use engine heat to heat the cabin.
Old 03-23-2014

Exclamation Footnote to the 1KW Electric Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Diesel will be used until the set temperature is reached. I assume, but don't know, that heating using all three zones would mean more total diesel use.

The water temperature is set by a mixing valve inside the Hurricane, under the top cover. If you don't have the manual pages from Hurricane you can find them here: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ap_9_XL_R2.pdf and you will see the knob for the valve in the top-down view.

There are two heating elements on the Hurricane, each 1000 watts. I find that they will provide limited hot water before the burner fires, and keep things hot between uses. They are controlled by two circuit breakers, not one, and the labeling is a bit obtuse on one of them - I think it says Cooktop. It is the 5th from the left, while the one labeled water heater is 8th from the left. Undoubtedly they reduce burner usage, although it is only a relatively small amount in use - being able to leave the water heater switch on and not having the burner come on when no hot water is being used is the most helpful.
We had a "Burner Out, Code #7" failure a few weeks ago. Turns out an overtemp sensor has been added to the back of the Hurricane's fire box. When the overtemp trips, the Hurricane's fuel pump will not operate. No fuel pump = no fire. This is not documented in my manual.

I called Hurricane and they confirmed the addition of the sensor. They said the sensor can trip when both the diesel fire and the electric elements are running. This is not that unusual when something is tacked on to an existing design.

The sensor has a reset button, but you need a Neck Like A Giraffe And A Head Like A Golf Ball With Eyes All The Way Around It (NLAGAAHLAGBWEATWAI) to reach it. The reset button on ours wouldn't work so I had to remove it and get Hurricane to send us a new one in the desert (more NLAGAAHLAGBWEATWAI).

Replacing the sensor in the field is one the trickier things I've done (NLAGAAHLAGBWEATWAI) and I don't recommend it. Resetting the sensor isn't much better. If keeping the electric elements off when running the diesel fire is all it takes to keep this from happening, then I highly recommend it.
04 M380
Old 04-02-2014

some good advice on here, heating the m380 has always been a lucky dip random hit & miss afair for me ! with the hurricane operation a bit of a black art
My hot water comes on real hot then goes just warm on taps, will try the value in the hurricane unit or is there anything else to adjust ?

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 04-02-2014
Geek

Andy, are you running the electric heaters? Does the diesel fire up?

The symptom could mean electric only - the electric elements can get the water hot, but cannot maintain it, while the diesel should keep up.