Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-17-2014
Geek

Default Battery wiring

Bob Griesel asked me how my batteries were wired, and I told him I didn't know, so today I looked.

Like his, mine were wired like the left picture, below. For a high-amperage connection this is NOT the way parallel batteries should be wired. I went out and bought a 4 ft 6-inch 4/0 cable from Discount Solar here in Q, and wired the batteries in one of the more common "generally correct" methods as shown in the middle image. Bob has wired his in the more complicated fashion shown at right - the picture doesn't represent scale, as all six wires have to be the same length. This is probably the only "perfectly correct" way to do a set of three (there is another if you have 4 batteries), but my way is easier and much better than stock.

Thanks to Bob and to Kevin Ridley for their assistance getting the box out and back in again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parallel.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	26644  
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 01-17-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

I'm using a 4 X 6V scheme that I've never seen used in a coach before. Got it from a book, maybe the battery thinkers will like to gaze upon and it wonder. I'll be along in a few days (still in Washington 'til tomoorrwow, arrrg) if batteries are still a topic in Q by then

Bob's harness ought to keep the batts wearing down/losing capacity the most evenly. Not sure where he'd want the charge leads attached in the configuration--the perfect setup ought to charge the bank from the end opposite to where the loads are, and he has done away with that. Benefit of where the charge enters is probably marginal, but if the goal is perfection (ahhh ), then the charge place figures in.

See you shortly.
Full-time in 2019
Old 01-17-2014
Geek

The 3 4D batteries in the M380 are in a tray, and connected via pass-through terminals on one end. Bob cut 6 cables to the same length and attached 3 each to the terminals, folding the ones nearest the terminals to make it work. No question the charge/discharge is even with that arrangement.
Old 02-20-2014

So in the stock configuration, the way it is wired from BB, which battery or batteries are possibly being worked harder than the others?
Old 02-20-2014
Geek

The battery nearest the end terminals is working the hardest and the far end is working the least. That is mostly significant under high-amperage loads, such as running the microwave from the inverter, or the 120VAC air pump, for a couple of examples. Also when bulk-charging.
Old 02-20-2014

Thanks Don,

I am doing some spring maintenance and will rewire these. I've noticed a sharp decline in my battery capacity and will pull them and test them first. Four year old Lifelines. Last time I replaced these there was only one battery that tested bad in the group, but I replaced them all as the 'book' says. At 5-6 hundred per battery, I may be more frugal this time if only one is bad. Maybe the new wiring will help them wear more evenly.
Old 02-20-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

The batt closest to the loads works hardest in the left pic of Don's diagrams.

Not exactly sure what you'd find resulting from the middle pic. I expect it would spread the wear to both ends of the bank.

With FLA batteries, you can see wear reflected in which cells need water, and what the rested cell's specific gravity at full charge is. The specific gravity of the hardest working cells declines more over time--they won't take or hold as much charge as the others. Assume it is the case for AGMs too.
Full-time in 2019
Old 02-20-2014
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Not ideal but this is how I wired mine up, better than what I found there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My 6v setup.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	27189  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 05-19-2017

Default Simple question about battery wiring

Am finally ready to connect batts and have a simple question; at least it should be

To make sure that three batteries are wired such that the three battery pairs work an equal amount, is it the TOTAL combined length of Pos/Neg cable for each battery pair that must be the same length or does the length of all Pos OR Neg cables need be the same?

Am wiring 3 pairs of batteries to two bus ties, one negative side to left of inverter (see pic below) and one positive side to right of inverter. Ideally, for each of the three battery pairs the total length of pos/neg cables should be the same length. My question is can I vary the length of each of the pos/neg cables such that the TOTAL COMBINED LENGTH for ALL three battery PAIRS is the same length? For example, in the picture the left pair might be Neg 1' long and Pos 2' long, the middle battery PAIR might be Neg 1.5' long and Pos 1.5' long and the right battery PAIR might be Neg 2' long and Pos 1' long.

Correct?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	48977  
Old 05-19-2017

Sure Van - go ahead and use your airline pilot brain to make us earthbound mortals wonder what the heck you are talking about...you and your super-smart brain stuff. Sheesh. You sure you don't fly an Airbus?
'76 FC35 SB (project)
'91 SP36 (sold)
2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4 toad
A whole herd of English Bull Terriers

Live long and Wander.