Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-01-2018

Default Eliminating the Front Slide PLC

Has anyone done this yet? I know a number of us have redone the controls for the rear slide but am unaware of anyone tackling the front slide yet. I have put it off to date because it hadn't given me any trouble. Now I'm dealing with no power to the front slide PLC and have tried all the solutions discussed in other threads on this subject to no avail. So now seems maybe the time I should get rid of all the complexity and go with a simple switch system.

So far, as I poke around, it seems a lot of the wiring described in factory drawings doesn't work the way it should. I'm using a drawing dated 3/9/2008. Maybe an earlier drawing would be more accurate?

There are lots of clues around that a PO or tech has monkeyed around with this system and the wiring before me and that doesn't help.

Two biggest mysteries to date are:
1. How to activate the solenoids that lock and unlock the slide so it can move
2. How to provide motive air to move the slide in and out

All help and comments appreciated.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 02-01-2018
Windlovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBERIC35 View Post
Has anyone done this yet? I know a number of us have redone the controls for the rear slide but am unaware of anyone tackling the front slide yet. I have put it off to date because it hadn't given me any trouble. Now I'm dealing with no power to the front slide PLC and have tried all the solutions discussed in other threads on this subject to no avail. So now seems maybe the time I should get rid of all the complexity and go with a simple switch system.

So far, as I poke around, it seems a lot of the wiring described in factory drawings doesn't work the way it should. I'm using a drawing dated 3/9/2008. Maybe an earlier drawing would be more accurate?

There are lots of clues around that a PO or tech has monkeyed around with this system and the wiring before me and that doesn't help.

Two biggest mysteries to date are:
1. How to activate the solenoids that lock and unlock the slide so it can move
2. How to provide motive air to move the slide in and out

All help and comments appreciated.
I am having issues with my front slide and no wiring schematics in my manual. Any way I could get a copy of the diagrams you have dated 2008. My coach is a 2007.
2007 M380
Old 02-02-2018

I can email you pdf copies of the slide wiring diagrams I have if you'll give me an email address. Mine is esjmaj@sbcglobal.net
Old 02-02-2018

Eric,
I sent you a link from my Dropbox with M380 slide info, let me know if it’s helpful.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 02-02-2018
Windlovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Eric,
I sent you a link from my Dropbox with M380 slide info, let me know if it’s helpful.
Did not get the link. Could you send again to jbk8000@aol.com. Thank you. I willlet you know if it works. Much appreciated.
2007 M380
Old 02-02-2018
Geek

It would be great if you guys who have unusual documents not already in the downloads here http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/ could get them uploaded for all of us.

I know Doc, and Dan Hunt, have some electrical schematics that I don't. For example, 0066298 Air Compressor Wiring Schematic, which is in the standard schematic pack and the owners manual, says "See 120V Distribution 0049560" which is not in the pack and I don't have. I know both Doc and Dan have that one from somewhere.

Getting them, and any other odd ones, uploaded here would be a good thing for the future.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 02-02-2018

If anyone needs one, I have those PLC's programmed and ready to go..
Just the plc, not the display.

I also uploaded the program in a previous post, search and you shall find!

PLC yours for the cost of replacement and shipping...

/Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!
Old 02-02-2018

Turns out the slide docs I have are in our database.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...AY%20MESSAGES/
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 02-02-2018

Default Doc left Q too soon!

At Q Jim M’s sister coach to mine was having Front Slide issues. Doc, Dan and I tracked it to a short in either the cable or one of the ends which connects the control panel with the computer. The cable has a serial-like end that looks like an old printer cable connector coming from the control panel and an S-Video TV looking connector on the other computer end. The slide computer is behind the control panel, which Doc pried out/off. The computer should be mounted close to the panel and accessible, but Jim’s had been moved deeper in the compartment when BB had done some work on it years ago. Although I’ve never had to do it, Doc said without air on the system manually moving the slide should be easy and he pointed out the front lock (that was only intermittently releasing due to the cable problem). He also noticed that Jim’s slide pressure was WAY too high. That meant the timer couldn’t allow enough time to deflate the seal, so it was dragging and slowing the slide as it moved & chafing the seal. He adjusted it down to around 15 psi. At one point Doc, Dan, Jim, Bruce & myself were all in Jim’s coach! Had Don been there, we might have reached critical mass and blown it up! Wish Doc & Dan had stayed another week at Q and held M380 classes!

Joe - have you actually had a look at the m380 front slide computer? Mine is working fine but is it repairable or replaceable? Don put clear plexiglass on his replacement DIY PLC rear slide controller box. It’s light show doesn’t look nearly as simple as he claims .

Last edited by NoGas; 02-02-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2018

At last our front slide is operating smoothly once again. Final fix turned out to be a jumper on the famous solenoid in the compartment below the driver's window. What led me on a merry chase was the assumption that if the solenoid body was hot then current was flowing through it. Finally decided to check it with a VOM and found out one leg was hot and one was not. The jumper restored power to the PLC and put us back in business. Oddly enough, the 12V master switches worked just fine before and after the jumper on the solenoid which tells me that someone in the factory or later wired the majority of 12V loads around this solenoid and it is basically providing power to the PLC and front slide.

I'd love to simplify this system and replace the PLC but that's a project for another day. I wasn't able to track down the wiring leads for the slide locks, and the motive air.