Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-26-2019

Default Dan & Cindy - Help! "Frozen" M380 Bay Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan & Cindy View Post
I've felt your pain. I was unable to open one of the rearmost utility bay doors. I ultimately managed to get it open. Found a lot of corrosion on the aluminum, imagine that right behind the rear wheels and exposed to everything they kick up. One of the aluminum studs had sheared off and the locking bar was missing. Now they get relubricated on a routine basis. I've designed replacement parts but have not completed machining them. Easy to do if you have access to a metal lathe and a drillpress. Will post when I've proven the solution.
This is from an old thread but I'm now having what sounds like the same problem. The latches on the bay door behind the axle on the driver's side won't release. I've pulled on the handle as hard as I can without fear of breaking it -- the handle moves about 3/4" taking up the slack, then it's like hitting a wall. Do you remember what you did to finally get yours open?
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 03-26-2019

Any chance the bay door is locked? When you lift the handle is the shaft moving?
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 03-26-2019

Lance: yeah, good idea, but I can see the lock pin slide into and out of the handle when I work the key. I can lift the handle about an inch (no resistance so assuming there is slack in the mechanism), then it simply won’t move any further. I’ve tried leaning against all corners of the door while trying to lift the handle, but no dice. Because it’s behind the axle, there is no other access that I know of to that bay. That’s why I was hoping Dan might recall how he got in to his.

hexspeed@aol.com
Old 03-26-2019

Default M380 Rear Bay Door(s) Stuck

Jim is referencing this post from 10+ years ago: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...read.php?t=854

Can be an issue with the bay compartment doors on both sides, behind the rear wheels. Lots of spray & debris kicked up in that area when raining. When I purchased the coach, the door on the bay behind the left rear wheel would not open. The latch was stuck closed and the handle would not raise. Avoided pulling it up with too much force (parts break when you do that). It was not locked. It took plenty of liquid wrench/WD-40 left over night and getting up underneath the couch to pry & work it loose. My guess is that in the prior 10 years, the PO had never opened that bay door so it and the latch mechanism froze in place. Persistence was eventually rewarded. Cleaned and lubed. Regularly opening & closing with a light spray of silicone is the “fix”.

BTW Jim - I put those bays to good use. Reference these posts:
1) Left - https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...d.php?p=409988
2) Right - Begins at Post #57 https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...t=25074&page=6
Old 03-26-2019

Thanks, Van. Sounds like I’m in for a fun day or two! Sorta figured this might be the solution - just was hoping there might have been a magic bullet I was missing.

And, thanks for the ideas for using those bays. Gives me something to look forward to!
hexspeed@aol.com
Old 03-26-2019

Been too long to recall exactly what I did, but a remember a couple of cans of WD-40 or your favorite aerosol lubricant sprayed and lots of repetitive motion ultimately freed the latching bar.
Old 03-26-2019

Thanks Dan. Getting my “nasty work” jeans and t-shirts out.
hexspeed@aol.com
Old 03-27-2019

I had this problem on my M380.Turned out it was locked but the key would not turn the lock. Lots of soaking sprays of penetrating oil finally got it working. I think it took a couple of days.
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS Super C
Old 03-27-2019

Stuck locks was my initial challenge, Ron, on several bays. Finally got all the locks working following the same messy route you followed. This bay is unlocked and I've had it open before, but I wasn't aware of the "special needs" of the bay doors behind the rear tires (thought I had picked up most of the collective wisdom of the WOG M380 posts, but I missed that one until a couple of days ago). I'm headed over today with a bag full of solvent/lubricants to start the process of working the latching bar free. Also going to follow Van's advice on preventative maintenance by lubing all the others while they're open so I don't have to repeat this.

So much to learn (and do); so little time!
hexspeed@aol.com
Old 03-27-2019
Geek

The problem with those doors is two-fold: there is no floor, so road dirt and salt gets kicked up into the mechanisms, and they are seldom opened. I had the problem on both sides after an eastcoast trip. I've found that the best way of preventing besides lubricating is to open the doors regularly.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1