Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-27-2019
Forum owner

Did the 96 have the hand wheel to turn the tank on and off?
My 93 did have it,i can't remember if the 95 had it.
My 2000 does not have it.
One of you 96 owners may be able to help,Sean Dixon? Can you help?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-27-2019

My '99 has a hand valve at the tank, a switch at the fill port, and another switch in the panel in front of the sink. Both switches must be on, the tank valve must be open, and the solenoid valve must be working for me to get propane to the stove. It does take a while to bleed the air out of the lines when either the tank has been empty or the stove has not been used in several months.

When I bought my coach the propane detector under the sink was not working; I had to replace it and the solenoid valve before the system would deliver propane to the stove.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 12-27-2019

John, your statement is correct “if” you start with 5% in a tank. If you start pumping liquid in at “0-Zero” % then my statement is correct. It has to do with the fact that propane is stored and transported under pressure in a liquid form. And in the case of our RV’s we use it in gaseous form.

Vehicle tanks like the OP mentioned “forklift” use propane liquid. Therefore the tanks are built differently. They are not interchangeable and it would be extremely dangerous to burn liquid propane in a gas grill or other appliance. This is one reason why the industry now uses “modern” OPD valves. The valve float will shut off inflow when the tank reaches normal tank capacity. Old style valves did not do this and a careless person could overfill a tank resulting in extreme danger for the consumer who tried to light his burner when it was spewing liquid.

Although propane systems are different because of gaseous properties, I will use a 55 gallon barrel of diesel as an example. If you start to pump fuel out of the barrel without allowing air to enter, a vacuum will eventually cave the sides of the barrel in. Same thing happens if you fill a barrel without allowing air to be displaced. Pressure will eventually build up and cause fuel to shoot out onto your shoes. We’ve all done this when filling our tanks too fast at the truck stop.

I realize that is an extreme simplification of system dynamics.

I welcome your clarification of additional information

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 12-27-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
John, your statement is correct “if” you start with 5% in a tank. If you start pumping liquid in at “0-Zero” % then my statement is correct. It has to do with the fact that propane is stored and transported under pressure in a liquid form. And in the case of our RV’s we use it in gaseous form.

Vehicle tanks like the OP mentioned “forklift” use propane liquid. Therefore the tanks are built differently. They are not interchangeable and it would be extremely dangerous to burn liquid propane in a gas grill or other appliance. This is one reason why the industry now uses “modern” OPD valves. The valve float will shut off inflow when the tank reaches normal tank capacity. Old style valves did not do this and a careless person could overfill a tank resulting in extreme danger for the consumer who tried to light his burner when it was spewing liquid.

Although propane systems are different because of gaseous properties, I will use a 55 gallon barrel of diesel as an example. If you start to pump fuel out of the barrel without allowing air to enter, a vacuum will eventually cave the sides of the barrel in. Same thing happens if you fill a barrel without allowing air to be displaced. Pressure will eventually build up and cause fuel to shoot out onto your shoes. We’ve all done this when filling our tanks too fast at the truck stop.

I realize that is an extreme simplification of system dynamics.

I welcome your clarification of additional information

Max.
The problem I had with your original statement ”Pump more liquid in and pressure increases —— just like it’s supposed to work” is the word “more”. Once there’s any “liquid” propane in the tank, adding more doesn’t increase the pressure (provided the temperature stays the same and there’s room left for it to expand). The reason for not filling (most) propane tanks more than 80% full of liquid is the need to have room for expansion of the liquid if the temperature increases. Basically what I was pointing out is that “pressure” is not an indicator of how full a tank is.

As for vapor vs liquid tank, it’s more a matter of whether the “dip tube” inside the tank is above or below the liquid propane when the tank is in it’s intended orientation.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 12-28-2019

Still waiting for more information about the original problem.

Did you get it fixed and working properly ?? What was the problem ??

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 12-28-2019

Road closures due to snow on The Grapevine caused us to change our route. Just arrived in San Diego at 2am this morning. 14 hour drive from Bakersfield CA to San Diego. Should have been 5 hours tops.

Going to work on propane today. I will let you know I get it working.

Thanks
Erwin
“LUCKY 27”
Old 12-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERWIN O View Post
14 hour drive from Bakersfield CA to San Diego.
What a drag, reminds me of one day I spent on I-95 South between Delaware and Richmond, VA
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 101k/22xx hours
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 12-28-2019

Hand wheel at tank is open.
Depressed valves at stove and held for quite sometime.
Switch in fill bay is on
Switch in kitchen is on
Propane alarm at lock board in kitchen is on
Still no propane at stove
Need to see if solenoid at tank is clicking on when switch is thrown.

Red light is not on on kitchen switch. I assume bulb is burnt out because when I turn it off and back on the alarm sounds and has to be reset. This is what I read to be normal in the manual.

I took the propane fridge out and capped the line off. Don’t think that matters.
Does the fridge alarm switch have anything to do with it?

Lastly what is the round hole in the panel that says off on. Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	155FC132-0D04-47FF-A1FB-64307B1A55D4.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	65678  
“LUCKY 27”
Old 12-28-2019

Just had someone turn the switch off and back on and reset the alarm while I held the solenoid. It clicks when this happens so I assume it is working.
“LUCKY 27”
Old 12-28-2019

Doug
After party cling through these posts again I read your statement that your light stays solid green. My does blink. I will dig some my more when I get home. For now the Menu for the trip will have to change.

Thanks
Erwin

Saw another post from you I didn’t answer. We are at Campland on the Bay in San Diego.
“LUCKY 27”