Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-28-2011
cmillsap

Default Observations

After nearly 2 years of owning a Bluebird Wanderlodge; here are some observations I’ve made along the way. They are in no particular order, just added as they came to mind

1) Be careful of truck washes. I started with this observation because it “bugs” me the most. Some people just have no common sense. I had our coach washed at one in Tennessee where as I was in the office paying the bill, four “Yahoos” (two on each side) were using stiff trailer brushes to scrub the sides of the coach. I yelled and screamed and jumped up and down, but it was too late!! I’m still buffing and puffing, trying to get a lot of the vertical scratches out of the clearcoat.

2) Buy a light colored coach, unless you’re so enamored by the beauty and uniqueness of a black coach that you just gotta have one. Then be prepared to wash and wax monthly.

3) Avoid dirt pull off areas, especially if your generator radiator fan blows directly down onto the ground (like mine). Then you get to clean the coach an extra time.

4) The cost of maintaining a Bluebird is about a $10 to $1 ratio as compared to my previous Safari Motor Coach. It would be a lot more if I didn’t do most of the maintenance myself. I need a second job! But then I wouldn’t have time to work on the coach.

5) A Wanderlodge is a complicated piece of machinery. “Now there’s an understatement”. There are things on this coach that I had never seen before or heard of or even thought I needed until I bought it. How about a “Pulse Width Modulating Valve” or “Electro-Luminescent Lighting”. After almost two years, I’m still finding things that I don’t know what they are or what they do. For example, there’s a little black box under the sofa with wires running to it that I’m gonna find out what that sucker does someday. Geez, it’s even got things on it that I really don’t need or use; like that “gas pump” looking thing back there in the engine compartment with the dial on it. Oh, I know it’s a bulk oiler but it’s useless as the S60 doesn’t use oil between changes or at least not much. And I still haven’t got the way the multiple Thermostats work down pat, I know just enough about setting them and turning on certain switches to keep from freezing to death. And there’s enough lights and switches inside this coach to light up the ‘Taj Mahal”. Did you know that there are four places in the coach to start the generator? And three places to turn on the water pump. Did I say “pump” I meant “Pumps”! And “of course” you gotta have an air compressor to flush the toilet. Shucks, I didn’t know I had a door air lock until someone mentioned it the other day. For sure, I’m gonna try out that “Instant Hot” on the kitchen sink one of these days. I could go on and on but you get the picture by now. Well, just one more;

A lady came by the other day and looked up at the exhaust pipe sticking out of the roof and asked “You got a fireplace in there”? I replied “Could be, but I haven’t found it yet”.

6) A Bluebird is a “Headturner”. Everywhere I go other coach (s.o.b.) owners like to look and ask questions about my coach. It’s the quality of the coach that attracts them. Little do they know that they could be proud owners of a good used Bluebird for near the same money as they paid for their newer “sticks and staples” machine. Most people think I paid a fortune for my coach and I just let them keep on thinking that. They also think the coach is new or near new so if they ask me how much it cost, I just quote the window sticker price.
7)
Difference Strokes For difference Folks. I am the third owner of my coach. The original owner had traded it in for the 2005? Bluebird show coach. The second owner sold it to me after owning it for just a few months. He disliked the coach and just wanted to get rid of it. He had owned several Prevosts in the past and is now the proud owner of another one. Personally, I think he took a step backwards.

As you can tell (maybe you can’t) I really do like and enjoy this great American made machine. My family and I feel safe in it. Its sophistication, beauty and quality inspires me to work hard to keep it running well and in good condition.

Chuck
Old 01-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
After nearly 2 years of owning a Bluebird Wanderlodge; here are some observations I’ve made along the way. They are in no particular order, just added as they came to mind

1) Be careful of truck washes. I started with this observation because it “bugs” me the most. Some people just have no common sense. I had our coach washed at one in Tennessee where as I was in the office paying the bill, four “Yahoos” (two on each side) were using stiff trailer brushes to scrub the sides of the coach. I yelled and screamed and jumped up and down, but it was too late!! I’m still buffing and puffing, trying to get a lot of the vertical scratches out of the clearcoat.

2) Buy a light colored coach, unless you’re so enamored by the beauty and uniqueness of a black coach that you just gotta have one. Then be prepared to wash and wax monthly.

3) Avoid dirt pull off areas, especially if your generator radiator fan blows directly down onto the ground (like mine). Then you get to clean the coach an extra time.

4) The cost of maintaining a Bluebird is about a $10 to $1 ratio as compared to my previous Safari Motor Coach. It would be a lot more if I didn’t do most of the maintenance myself. I need a second job! But then I wouldn’t have time to work on the coach.

5) A Wanderlodge is a complicated piece of machinery. “Now there’s an understatement”. There are things on this coach that I had never seen before or heard of or even thought I needed until I bought it. How about a “Pulse Width Modulating Valve” or “Electro-Luminescent Lighting”. After almost two years, I’m still finding things that I don’t know what they are or what they do. For example, there’s a little black box under the sofa with wires running to it that I’m gonna find out what that sucker does someday. Geez, it’s even got things on it that I really don’t need or use; like that “gas pump” looking thing back there in the engine compartment with the dial on it. Oh, I know it’s a bulk oiler but it’s useless as the S60 doesn’t use oil between changes or at least not much. And I still haven’t got the way the multiple Thermostats work down pat, I know just enough about setting them and turning on certain switches to keep from freezing to death. And there’s enough lights and switches inside this coach to light up the ‘Taj Mahal”. Did you know that there are four places in the coach to start the generator? And three places to turn on the water pump. Did I say “pump” I meant “Pumps”! And “of course” you gotta have an air compressor to flush the toilet. Shucks, I didn’t know I had a door air lock until someone mentioned it the other day. For sure, I’m gonna try out that “Instant Hot” on the kitchen sink one of these days. I could go on and on but you get the picture by now. Well, just one more;

A lady came by the other day and looked up at the exhaust pipe sticking out of the roof and asked “You got a fireplace in there”? I replied “Could be, but I haven’t found it yet”.

6) A Bluebird is a “Headturner”. Everywhere I go other coach (s.o.b.) owners like to look and ask questions about my coach. It’s the quality of the coach that attracts them. Little do they know that they could be proud owners of a good used Bluebird for near the same money as they paid for their newer “sticks and staples” machine. Most people think I paid a fortune for my coach and I just let them keep on thinking that. They also think the coach is new or near new so if they ask me how much it cost, I just quote the window sticker price.
7)
Difference Strokes For difference Folks. I am the third owner of my coach. The original owner had traded it in for the 2005? Bluebird show coach. The second owner sold it to me after owning it for just a few months. He disliked the coach and just wanted to get rid of it. He had owned several Prevosts in the past and is now the proud owner of another one. Personally, I think he took a step backwards.

As you can tell (maybe you can’t) I really do like and enjoy this great American made machine. My family and I feel safe in it. Its sophistication, beauty and quality inspires me to work hard to keep it running well and in good condition.

Chuck
aaa me too what chuck said
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 01-28-2011

Default Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post

Chuck

Chuck - great observations and I will ditto everything you said. Two comments from personal experience concerning observations 1 & 6:

#1 - Truck Washes: Last summer I got a coupon at a RV resort 50% off a "hand wash" for a chain of truck washes. Before I realized what had happened the "hands" were using power wash wands. Later I found a 1" spot on one of my bay doors where the clear coat had come off.

#6 - Headturner: Nearly everytime I pull into a campground someone comes over and comments about how fine my coach looks. Sooner or later they ask what's model year. When I tell them its a 94 they don't believe it. In one RV Park my next door neighbor had a brand new, top of the line coach made right here in Alabama. He and his wife made the usual walk around when he asked what year and I convinced him it was a 94 his next comment was what did it cost. My response was, "substantially less than one-fourth of what you paid for yours". I heard his wife say as they walked away, "I told you you should have looked for something like that."

Me, as Brer. Rabbit sez: "I sot there with the dry grins".
Old 01-28-2011
davidmbrady

My best campground quote was from an SOB owner, he had years of trucking experience, noticed my LXi, walked around the exterior, he peered into the engine compartment, as we parted ways I overheared him whisper to his wife, "That's a runner".
Old 01-28-2011
prone to wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
My best campground quote was from an SOB owner, he had years of trucking experience, noticed my LXi, walked around the exterior, he peered into the engine compartment, as we parted ways I overheared him whisper to his wife, "That's a runner".
That's very cool, a great quote
Probably no coincidence that there are so many of us "old time trucking guys" on this forum and running BBWL's
jimdoel@me.com
Old 01-28-2011

Default Observations

Most of the time when we pull into rest areas or truck stops I'll get waves, thumbs up, or a personal comment - "sure do like those big Detroits!"

These truckers are usually the over 50-60 age group. The sounds those big 2 strokes make have a definite signature.
Old 01-28-2011
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Most of the time when we pull into rest areas or truck stops I'll get waves, thumbs up, or a personal comment - "sure do like those big Detroits!"

These truckers are usually the over 50-60 age group. The sounds those big 2 strokes make have a definite signature.

Yeah, It's Melodious

Chuck
Old 01-28-2011

Default Observations

One time in a state park in Alabama, a fellow came up to me while I was checking the oil and water in my generator. He said, "that's sure a nice 'winnebager' you got there.". Looking at the generator which was extended, he commented, "That sure is a little bitty motor you got pulling that 'winnebager'."

Only in Alabama........
Old 01-28-2011

Chuck you hit the nail on the head, all of it is so true! Gotta love the Bird

Bruce and Sally Summerlin
Germantown, Tennessee
2000 LXi Millinium
Old 01-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
One time in a state park in Alabama, a fellow came up to me while I was checking the oil and water in my generator. He said, "that's sure a nice 'winnebager' you got there.". Looking at the generator which was extended, he commented, "That sure is a little bitty motor you got pulling that 'winnebager'."

Only in Alabama........
Here's 'ur sign
Republic of Texas
Amateur Radio (KC4QNW) - General Class
"When you change yourself, others will change"