Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2010

Default Generator Battery Not Charging / Dead Battery (combined threads)

I bought a new Battery begining of Jan and the Gen worked fine for 20+ days at Q. Been in RV Parks for 6 weeks and now 1st night on the road, I go to start the Gen and Nada! Put a multimeter across the battery and it was 7.3v ??
shouldn't it be charging with the others from my Xantrex while on shore power? Is there any point in the Gen compartment I can jump from? to start it?
Idaho
Old 03-11-2010
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Jim,

Pressing your AUX Battery switch on the dash should connect your coach batteries to the generator battery. Hold it while cranking the generator.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-11-2010

John, I tried that and still Nada.

I emailed the PO and awaiting a reply from him, or anybody else.
Idaho
Old 03-11-2010
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

That usually works even with a dead generator battery - You might want to check the voltage at the generator battery while someone presses the Aux Battery switch to see if the voltage goes up.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-11-2010
Forum owner

whats the voltage on the coach/house battery?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-11-2010

My 87 PT40 likely differs from your PT38---eg. mine has been modified with a replacement TrueCharge40.

The first picture is the generator battery area in the bay below the driver's seat, for comparison to your coach.

Generator battery charging problems can often be traced to the method used to isolate it from the coach and main engine starting batteries. BB used a diode to keep the coach from draining the generator battery. This photo shows the location above the generator battery on my coach:

I'm pointing to the diode, and the circuit breaker is below my finger. These have been failure-prone in the past for me.

The dash switch is used to toggle a relay (the can in the picture) to allow the coach to draw from the generator battery to aid the main engine starting batteries, essentially bypassing this diode.

If the diode is working, you should measure around 13 volts on one side and 12 on the other (to ground) with the main engine or battery charger working. Also check the small circuit breaker--if ok, there should be no voltage measured across its terminals.

You might be able to jumper the two main poles on the relay to apply coach battery voltage to the generator battery. Use a heavy jumper cable to handle the current.

Figure 10-8 in my owner's manual has the charging circuit schematic.

The generator battery may not recover from being discharged even after the charging circuit is repaired. Be cautious regarding high currents, boiling electrolyte, and explosive hydrogen gas.

Questions?

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40
currently Pecos, TX

Old 03-11-2010

Right on Mike! You read my mind. If the diode is failing, you can still get them, but I'd pull the diode and replace it with an automatic charge relay that senses higher voltage when the genny or charger or alternator are putting out over 13.4 volts. Here's what I used- http://bluesea.com/products/7610 You can get them for around $70 and there is no voltage drop like you have with a diode. This means that the genny battery gets a nice bulk/absorption/float charge like it's supposed to.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 03-30-2010
Wanderlodge lover

Default Starting Batteris or genny Battery

So this was just the thread I was looking for....... so here is a question for you guys... I have a 85 PT36 - attached current wiring diagram.. and what I am thinking of doing.. I was going to add two 12 volt batteris and isolate them for starting the engine. But after reading this thread, it seems that may not be necessary and that I can use the Gen battery to start the engine if my house batteris are too low or dead? Or would the single 12V batter for the Generator not be enough amps etc. to crank my detroit? And would I have issues combining different amp level batterise using an automatic Charging relay? hmmmm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bat motor home after.pdf (93.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: pdf bat motor home.pdf (41.5 KB, 265 views)
Charlotte NC
Old 03-30-2010
Wanderlodge lover

Also my generator also has an alternator.... is there any issue with the main engine alternator running charging the Genny battery as well as the Genny alternator running charging the same battery at the same time??? or does the Genny alternator NOT provide current to the Genny Battery? My BB isn't near by right now or I could go test this out... Darn I wish I had a shop right outside to keep it in and work on it when ever I wanted to...
Charlotte NC
Old 03-30-2010

A single battery probably won't start the Detroit. You should be able to add a genny battery that would charge from whatever is running. You'd need to use one of the islators like Shane referenced above. That would allow you to start the genny, which would then eventually provide enough juice to start the Detroit.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support