Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches Wanted

Coaches Wanted Looking to buy a particular coach? Place your request here.

Site Search:

Old 04-26-2011

Default Looking for our next home...

Greetings All --

There is more information about us included in our introduction post, but here is what we are looking for in our next home on wheels. We are bus novices, but ready to move quickly if we find something that feels right:

1) Ready for us to start living in day #1. This isn't going to be a project bus, it will be our home. We intend to work on it and upgrade it over time, but we need something that is ready for us right from the start. We thus need something mechanically sound with at least mostly working systems, and not anything needing a major overhaul.

2) As versatile of a vehicle as possible - the smaller and more maneuverable the better. We know we wont be able to go to some of the more remote places we've been in our trailer, but we don't want to be tied to just "big rig" friendly sites either. We want to still be able to get into remote state parks, etc... I don't think we would want anything longer than 35', and smaller is just fine. We are used to living in a 17' trailer - even the smallest bus is going to feel huge to us! I am particularly intrigued by the potential of some of the smaller Wanderlodge designs.

3) Another aspect of versatility is an engine and transmission that can handle getting around. I'm up for the challenge of learning to double-clutch an old manual, but I'm not sure we'd be up for a bus that needs a tractor tow to get up a steep driveway. Being potentially underpowered is one of my biggest worries with the older GM 4104's that we've looked at.

4) Boondocking-friendly. We've occasionally gone for months without hookups in our trailer, and we don't want to be tied to needing to always find hookups in our bus. We also try to minimize our generator usage. I've designed the solar systems on our past two trailers, so I am actually looking forward to speccing out our ideal new electrical system. We just need to make sure we have a bus that is a good foundation to invest in installing these upgrades. A power hungry "all electric coach" is thus probably not ideal.

5) Island queen. We don't want separate beds, and we want to avoid needing to crawl over each other (unless we want to).

6) Open, spacious, and airy interior. We love windows, and since we work at home on our laptops most days, we love to have inspiring views while we work. I've seen some buses severely lacking in the window department, and with interior space very broken up by walls and dividers. We want the space to have ample opening windows (and screens) to allow for natural ventilation without needing to run the AC.

7) Affordable to buy, and not an infinitely deep money pit. This is definitely a great time to buy - there seem to be some amazing bus conversions selling for great prices out there. Avoiding the worst of the money pits will be key though, but at these prices we can afford to invest a substantial amount in upgrades after the purchase.

8) A cool and unique looking vintage design is nice to have - we love the old Flxible look, and the GM 4104, and the Wanderlodges we have seen online look cool too. When it comes to interiors, we would prefer to avoid some of the vintage 70's dark woods and 80's pink and pastel interiors we've seen, but might just have to plan on a major redecoration once we move in. More important than the style is that the systems be well designed, and well built.

And beyond all this, we are not even sure what we should be looking for. Advice, pointers, and leads are all VERY appreciated.

Is there a perfect Wanderlodge waiting for us out there???

- Chris // www.technomadia.com

Chris Dunphy & Cherie Ve Ard / Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads since 2006 (Full timers)
Bus: 1961 GM 4106
Old 04-26-2011

Talk with Randy with out delay. He has several units listed at Buy Bye Blue Bird.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-26-2011
davidmbrady

Chris,

It's going to be hard finding a bus that meets all of your requirements. For instance, a non-project bus that's ready for you to start living in on day one is most easily satisfied by moving into a late model bus, while a smaller and more maneuverable 36 feet length or less requires something built before 1989. Moreover, ensuring that your bus has the get-up-and-go that you want is more easily satisfied with a late model coach. Continuing on, a spacious, bright, well lighted interior with large windows requires a late model coach. Affordable to buy lends itself to an early model coach, while restricting yourself to a non-money pit puts you back again with the late model coaches. Cool and nostalgic looking puts you in a vintage bus, but then your stuck with darker laminates and dark wood interiors. Sigh...

Frankly, if you have the money, I think the coach that most easily satisfies your needs is an M380, if you are looking to spend less, then an SP36 might be the next closest thing.
Old 04-26-2011

Did you mention diesel or gas preference?

On my list; Wanderlodge, Barth, GMC, & Foretravel.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Talk with Randy with out delay. He has several units listed at Buy Bye Blue Bird.
I emailed Randy and tried to call him twice last week, but I got essentially no reply other than a brief email back encouraging me to join the WOG and to ask around for other owners to show me their coaches so that we could get a better idea what model we want.

I am hoping he is just too busy at the moment, and that I'll be hearing back from him soon. There are a few buses listed on his site that I'd love to ask him a few questions about.

Old 04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam express View Post
Did you mention diesel or gas preference?

On my list; Wanderlodge, Barth, GMC, & Foretravel.
We prefer diesel for the reliability and fuel economy, but I am not totally opposed to gas.

We've checked out the 26' GMC Motorhomes (even visited gmccoop.com in the Orlando area recently), and there is a *lot* to love there. The biggest downside is that lack of space, particularly outside storage space. The Foretravel is similar, but we haven't seen one in person. I've never heard of a Barth. Do you have a pointer for more details?

Thanks!

- Chris

Last edited by technomadia; 04-26-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomadia View Post
We prefer diesel for the reliability and fuel economy, but I am not totally opposed to gas.

We've checked out the GMC, and there is a lot to love there. The biggest downside is that lack of space, particularly outside storage space. The Foretravel is similar, but we haven't seen one in person. I've never heard of a Barth. Do you have a pointer for more details?

Thanks!

- Chris
Chris,

If you want outside storage space that puts you into a late model pusher, post 1990 or so, with fully enclosed pass thru basement bays. You may want to go over to www.vintagebirds.com and have a look at the History tab. Don't worry, we'll narrow it down for you.

See this thread for information about Foretravel:
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=8150
Old 04-26-2011
Forum owner

The last week has been a blur,Rick and I have been moving 37 years of shop equipment,5 loads in 7 days,400 miles per load,then my computer died and carol had to go get me a new one and get it all set up.
With all that and over 200 emails a day and who knows how many phone calls I suppose I did forget to return a few calls.
I did read your first post in this thread,and I still don't know what you want to buy.
I do think you can buy a nice FC in the $30k range that will do what you want,but you want a queen island bed,and a coach thats not cut up like a side bath FC,the rear bath FC has twin beds,so thats out.
So,we need to move up a notch in price to get a PT,for $39K I have a nice PT38 in Yuma Az.
Or,maybe Ernie's 82 PT40 for $17,500 would fit the bill.
Sorry about not returning your calls.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-26-2011

Hi David - thanks for sharing your wisdom. Of course it is going to be a game of tradeoffs, and the goal is to strike a nice balance. A few comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Continuing on, a spacious, bright, well lighted interior with large windows requires a late model coach.
More important than large windows are windows that can actually be opened. I've been in our friend's Prevost, and his giant tinted windows have only the tiniest of little sliding hatches that actually open for a breeze.

Meanwhile, one of the 50+ year old GM's we saw was converted with all the side windows in place, and the views out from everywhere in the interior are to die for.

How are the Wanderlodge windows in this regard? Do they open wide? Do they have screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Frankly, if you have the money, I think the coach that most easily satisfies your needs is an M380, if you are looking to spend less, then an SP36 might be the next closest thing.
The M380 doesn't seem to be our style (we are seeking something with a unique and quirky feel).

The SP36 on the other hand looks more promising, and I would love to see one in person.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Last edited by technomadia; 04-26-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2011

Hi Randy - No worries at all. We figured you had stuff up and would get back to us when you could.

We're very much in an investigative research mode and exploring all our options to find the right fit for us. We know our desires are a bit unique and will take some effort to find what we're looking for, and that we will have to make compromises.

We very much appreciate the warm welcome here to WOG.. y'all are awesome!

- Cherie (and Chris)