Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-30-2018
kg4rrx's Avatar
kg4rrx kg4rrx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 605
Default Two weeks in Wisconsin

End of July / beginning of August we have a place to be in Wisconsin. Right now the only real plans we have are two nights at Fisherman's Corner in Moline IL on the way up and four nights at Sherwood Forest in Wisconsin Dells. Another nine days or so to go wherever. Anything we shouldn't miss?
__________________
Chris Henry
Fayetteville, GA
87FC
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2018
photoadjuster photoadjuster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 259
Default

Oshkosh Air Show is July 23 thru the 29. Greatest show on earth.
__________________
Mike Stephenson
Lubbock, TX
1978 FC35 (deceased)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2018
kg4rrx's Avatar
kg4rrx kg4rrx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuster View Post
Oshkosh Air Show is July 23 thru the 29. Greatest show on earth.



I'm an air traffic controller. I've been to Oshkosh once, back probably 20 years ago. Unfortunately I won't be in the state until July 29 so I missed that show.
__________________
Chris Henry
Fayetteville, GA
87FC
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2018
max hendrix's Avatar
max hendrix max hendrix is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Weatherford
Posts: 679
Default

Oshkosh Airshow definitely is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Camping under the wings in a sea of airplanes with thousands of other people is not for everyone but it was a lot of fun.

The low pass by the Concorde with full afterburner and ensuing Kerosene conversion to massive acceleration and lots of the sound of Freedom was something that I will always regret never getting to see. It did not attend the show the year when I went.

I was flying westbound in a Boeing 767 over the North Atlantic one day back in the 90s. We heard chatter on the radio and watched Concorde climbing towards 51,000’ and passing us steadily by as we felt like we were sitting still down in the mid 30’s Quite an impressive piece of machinery. But it was too thirsty for what it could carry and just not economically feasible to carry on.


I did get to see the greatest stunt show that I have ever seen, and I’ve been to a lot in my 40 plus years of being around airplanes. The “Masters of Disaster” we’re doing things that I wouldn’t even dream of doing. The radial engine Waco biplane with a jet engine strapped below the fuselage was crazy. He pulled it off the runway and snap rolled it before he was 20 feet in the air. And that was with the wing walker strapped to her pole up on top of the wing. It looked like her head was going to scrape the concrete they were so low. And it happened so fast I bet there had to be some tremendous G forces on her body.

I told my wife that those guys wouldn’t live to see grandchildren and just a couple of years later I was right. They ran together up in Canada and killed both of the main performers of the show. Really a sad episode.

Oshkosh should be on your bucket list. Just like the Indy 500 or a trip to Alaska.

One more story and I’ll quit::
I have a young friend that I am trying to help and encourage He loves flying but is not experienced enough yet to get a job doing it Anyway, last year or the year before he went to Oshkosh and Bob Hoover was there. He stood in line even though his girlfriend was not very happy about that. After while he made his way to the front, got to shake his hand and take a couple of pictures with him. Bob passed away shortly after that but my buddy has the memories and the pictures. That my friends is priceless if you are a pilot or know anything about Aviation History. He was a living Legend.

Max
__________________
Max Hendrix
Weatherford Texas

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 06-30-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2018
iamflagman's Avatar
iamflagman iamflagman is offline
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hopkins
Posts: 11,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4rrx View Post
End of July / beginning of August we have a place to be in Wisconsin. Right now the only real plans we have are two nights at Fisherman's Corner in Moline IL on the way up and four nights at Sherwood Forest in Wisconsin Dells. Another nine days or so to go wherever. Anything we shouldn't miss?
Actually Fishermans Corner is in Hampton, Ill up river from Moline, I stay there while I visit relatives and friends as I grew up in the area. While you are there see the "American Pickers" store just across the I-80 bridge in LeClaire, Iowa, Just a few miles west on I-80 at Walcott, Iowa, stop at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop and visit their chrome shop for lots of eye candy. In Moline see the John Deere Pavilion museum.
__________________

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2018
kg4rrx's Avatar
kg4rrx kg4rrx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post

I did get to see the greatest stunt show that I have ever seen, and I’ve been to a lot in my 40 plus years of being around airplanes. The “Masters of Disaster” we’re doing things that I wouldn’t even dream of doing. The radial engine Waco biplane with a jet engine strapped below the fuselage was crazy. He pulled it off the runway and snap rolled it before he was 20 feet in the air. And that was with the wing walker strapped to her pole up on top of the wing. It looked like her head was going to scrape the concrete they were so low. And it happened so fast I bet there had to be some tremendous G forces on her body.

I told my wife that those guys wouldn’t live to see grandchildren and just a couple of years later I was right. They ran together up in Canada and killed both of the main performers of the show. Really a sad episode.


Max

I saw the Masters of Disaster a couple of times at airshows. I agree it was a terrific show. I have a buddy that used to be a sort of an 'intern' for Gene Soucy and had the opportunity to spend some time with him at a show in Wichita. One of these days I'll make it back to Oshkosh but sadly not this year.
__________________
Chris Henry
Fayetteville, GA
87FC
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2018
kg4rrx's Avatar
kg4rrx kg4rrx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Actually Fishermans Corner is in Hampton, Ill up river from Moline, I stay there while I visit relatives and friends as I grew up in the area. While you are there see the "American Pickers" store just across the I-80 bridge in LeClaire, Iowa, Just a few miles west on I-80 at Walcott, Iowa, stop at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop and visit their chrome shop for lots of eye candy. In Moline see the John Deere Pavilion museum.

John Deere Pavilion is probably the top reason why I wanted to visit Moline. I didn't know that the I80 truck stop was close- I'll have to add it to the list.
__________________
Chris Henry
Fayetteville, GA
87FC
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2018
Big Al Big Al is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waupun
Posts: 371
Default

Wisconsin
You can go to HD Musem Milwaukee
Lambeau Field in Green Bay
New Glaurs brewery tour in New Glarurs
And you can come see us.
Have a good time.
__________________
Alan Fink & Sally Carlson-Fink
Waupun, Wisconsin
2000 LX ME "Angry Bird"
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2018
Turbokitty's Avatar
Turbokitty Turbokitty is offline
Timberlake Products Group
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Clearwater
Posts: 4,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4rrx View Post
End of July / beginning of August we have a place to be in Wisconsin. Right now the only real plans we have are two nights at Fisherman's Corner in Moline IL on the way up and four nights at Sherwood Forest in Wisconsin Dells. Another nine days or so to go wherever. Anything we shouldn't miss?
Madison, ugh!

Stillwater is gorgeous! LaCrosse is great too. Lake Superior is great along with the Apostle Islands
__________________

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2018
jcs707's Avatar
jcs707 jcs707 is offline
In The Learning Curve
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post



One more story and I’ll quit::
I have a young friend that I am trying to help and encourage He loves flying but is not experienced enough yet to get a job doing it Anyway, last year or the year before he went to Oshkosh and Bob Hoover was there. He stood in line even though his girlfriend was not very happy about that. After while he made his way to the front, got to shake his hand and take a couple of pictures with him. Bob passed away shortly after that but my buddy has the memories and the pictures. That my friends is priceless if you are a pilot or know anything about Aviation History. He was a living Legend.

Max
always a military aviation fanatic, I went to a lot of air shows growing up. Two demonstrations I remember the most - first was this crazy man in a twin engine Rockwell Shrike Commander do some of the most unbelievable single engine and power-off stunts you could imagine. Yep, Bob Hoover - at the time I was completely unaware of the aviation legend that he was.

Second, I saw the Blue Angles do a Delta-6 formation landing at Dobbins AFB - when they were flying the A4. Because I never ever saw that manuever again, and it was so so long ago, I actually began to think I had dreamed up the whole thing. Then I actually found it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/NzpLPShb21s

and here's a later version of a Diamond-4 formation in F-18s.

https://youtu.be/hyOwj_PttSg

Now that's some precision flying!

Oskosh is definitely on my bucket list.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Clint & Tammy Summers
Atlanta GA
1995 WB 42 "The Magic Carpet" sold
1977 FC 31 RB "BUSTA BUS"
MeWe : https://mewe.com/i/clintsummers1
Semper Fi
-----------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurricane in Wisconsin? badandy Under The Awning 4 05-30-2018 08:07 PM
Tim,i will be heading your way in a few weeks. Randy Dupree Tim Gunter RV Interiors Wanderlodge & RV Tech 33 09-29-2016 09:14 AM
Two weeks at Christmas to WANDER pairodice Campgrounds, RV Parks, Other Places to Sleep, or TO STAY AWAY FROM 3 12-04-2014 10:36 AM
Next Weeks Travel Plans Jeff Huffman Under The Awning 0 07-09-2010 11:38 PM
62 weeks and counting gcyeaw Under The Awning 11 03-20-2009 08:47 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.