Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 04-18-2011

Default Allison MT640 Retarder Not Working

Hi, Sure hope I am not wearing out my welcome but I have more questions. The PO said the retarder never worked - odd because he bought the bus when it was less than one year old.

Crawling under the bus I noticed this switch activated by the arm going to the retarder pedal. Could this be the problem - what is it?

84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 04-19-2011
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
Hi, Sure hope I am not wearing out my welcome but I have more questions. The PO said the retarder never worked - odd because he bought the bus when it was less than one year old.

Crawling under the bus I noticed this switch activated by the arm going to the retarder pedal. Could this be the problem - what is it?
Hi Patric,

It’s been awhile since I had my 73 but I think that switch was there just to turn on the brake lights when you stepped on the retarder pedal.

As far as the retarder not working - The retarder valve on the side of the transmission is mechanically actuated.

I would check the mechanical linkage from the retarder pedal to the transmission while someone stepped on the retarder pedal to be sure that you’re getting enough movement at the transmission to actuate the retarder valve.

For what it's worth - The retarder on my 73 worked great.

Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 04-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Hi Patric,

It’s been awhile since I had my 73 but I think that switch was there just to turn on the brake lights when you stepped on the retarder pedal.

As far as the retarder not working - The retarder valve on the side of the transmission is mechanically actuated.

I would check the mechanical linkage from the retarder pedal to the transmission while someone stepped on the retarder pedal to be sure that you’re getting enough movement at the transmission to actuate the retarder valve.

For what it's worth - The retarder on my 73 worked great.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that. There is even a pair of wires hanging nearby that I bet should go to this switch. I was a bit leary of hooking them up just to see if anything smoked thanks!
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)