Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2013

Default HWH spring removal

I have to do some spring replacing today on various HWH jacks. I took a quick peek at the jack towers and its not obvious how how you remove the spring that does not have the adjustment bolt.

When I look up through the busted spring I see the attachment point, but my spring can't be removed by just lifting it up and tilting it over the attachment point.

I see the urethane bushing bolt on the outside of the housing. Do I remove that and it leads to the solution?

Probably a lazy question instead of just wrenching but I thought I would ask, thanks all!
Old 02-10-2013

At the Coachworx rally one of the guys was replacing one, who was it, Mark Bragdon? Bill Pape had his kit of wooden wedges. (I'll have to make a kit like that.)Anyway, they extended the jack, placed a number of wedges between the coils, retracted the jack and took off the spring easily. The new one used a chain link to attach it temporarily, extended the jack, placed in wedges, retracted, removed the link and attached the spring, lowered the jack again to remove the wedges, and presto.

If I missed anything here, sing out guys. I was impressed by the cleverness of the method. Another benefit of WOG and BB rallies.
Old 02-10-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
At the Coachworx rally one of the guys was replacing one, who was it, Mark Bragdon? Bill Pape had his kit of wooden wedges. (I'll have to make a kit like that.)Anyway, they extended the jack, placed a number of wedges between the coils, retracted the jack and took off the spring easily. The new one used a chain link to attach it temporarily, extended the jack, placed in wedges, retracted, removed the link and attached the spring, lowered the jack again to remove the wedges, and presto.

If I missed anything here, sing out guys. I was impressed by the cleverness of the method. Another benefit of WOG and BB rallies.
If memory serves me Ron, they posted about that job and had pictures.
Old 02-10-2013

Default HWH springs

Thanks guys, I had already tracked down the threads you mention but... my question is even simpler than that!

What I'm asking about is how do you get the very end of the spring over the keeper "pin" at the very top of the jack housing, I'm not even asking about how to attach to the bottom yet! I wasn't able to just lift the broken spring and get it off the top!

Many Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013

Default HWH spring removal

Steven:
This depends on which jack you are talking about.
On the forward control, I was able to muscle off all the springs by hand and prybar.

On the 88, the one side can be taken off with the thread on top, but on the other side, the complete jack assembly has to be removed, as it is inside the steel box.

What year of model are you looking at??
Old 02-11-2013

Thanks Bill, thats what I was afraid of but I couldn't see enough with my brief peek at things to be sure....

I own a "new" old 1990 wide body...

Oh well!
Old 02-11-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skling View Post
Thanks Bill, thats what I was afraid of but I couldn't see enough with my brief peek at things to be sure....

I own a "new" old 1990 wide body...

Oh well!

Time to update your signature Steven!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-11-2013

Will update my profile... thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-11-2013
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post

This is one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that" moments. Thanks for posting this Ron, I had unsuccessfully tried to remove one of my HWH springs unsuccessfully in the past. Now I know how!

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 02-11-2013

Default Replacing jack springs

The spring we were replacing was mine and unfortunately we didn't do any pictures of the spring replacement .

Ron had the description exactly right and I will be putting together a "kit" like Bill Pape had made. It consisted of about 20 thin small pieces of wood that would fit between the spring curves when it was extended (to hold it in a longer position) and one chain link (the kind that has an opening on one side and that side has a screw mechanism to hold it together). Mark Bragdon and I wondered if a big S-Hook would work, but it wouldn't be fun if you were under there working and the S-Hook decided to open up. You'd want a pretty strong one if you tried that.

Anyway, the concept was excellent. We had to extend and retract the jack several times to get enough wood pieces in to get the spring long enough to attach easily but it worked. Then we extended it further once again after the spring was attached to get the wood pieces out. Pretty creative solution from Bill Pape.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117