Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > First-Timers and Newcomers

First-Timers and Newcomers Are you a first-timer, newcomer, or even a "wannabe"? This is the place to get your questions anwered.

Site Search:

Old 10-02-2009

Default diesel gasser comparison

I am trying to understand the full difference between a diesel or gasserwanderlodge of any given year.It seems hard to find much info on the powertrain difference, could any gasserpeeps, give any insight to thier experience with a gasser unit.The area that I can't seem to find any info on at all is the chassis. Other thanthe gasser (usually a Ford industrial 391 (I think))Is there any difference inan FC gasser unit as compared to the diesel. Do they both have the air ridesuspension? Do they both have airbrakes? Are the chassis identical? Do they bothhave 22 inch tires? Do both have brake assist system (Maybe not a jake for thegasser,but a retarder of some sort)? Are there any other difference other thanjust the engine?Any info would be great.
Old 10-03-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
I am trying to understand the full difference between a diesel or gasserwanderlodge of any given year.It seems hard to find much info on the powertrain difference, could any gasserpeeps, give any insight to thier experience with a gasser unit.The area that I can't seem to find any info on at all is the chassis. Other thanthe gasser (usually a Ford industrial 391 (I think))Is there any difference inan FC gasser unit as compared to the diesel. Do they both have the air ridesuspension? Do they both have airbrakes? Are the chassis identical? Do they bothhave 22 inch tires? Do both have brake assist system (Maybe not a jake for thegasser,but a retarder of some sort)? Are there any other difference other thanjust the engine?Any info would be great.
First thing is you need to create a permanent signature in your profile, you can find out how to do that by going to How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

Since all Wanderlodges were custom built to a certain extent I really can't give you a definite answer to your questions, but most of the gasser models that I am familiar with did not have air ride suspension or air brakes, but maybe someone else will correct me.

Some may have the drive line retarder and some came with 20 inch tires as compared to the later model's with 22.5 tires. When you are looking at a 'Bird be aware that some have been upgraded to newer specifications by previous owners.

If you have questions about a particular 'Bird just ask about it here, there may be a forum member who is familiar with it and can fill in the details.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-03-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I've got both. I have a '63FC35 and a '78FC35. The '63 had a 401 GMC Gas engine with a 5 speed manual tranny. It got between 4-5.5 mpg and actually ran a little better than my 3208na. HOWEVER, it would be worse with an auto tranny and the '63 was about 6,000 lbs lighter too. I bought the '78 to upgrade and it came with many things the older bus didn't; diesel engine, bigger generator, levelling jacks, huge awning, landing lights, powered spot light, dash air & power steering just to name a few.

What I've found is that the diesel gets 7.5-8.5 mpg and is much more trouble free. The gasser always had to be timed, plugs replaced, points, carb cleaned, etc.. etc.. The diesel can sit for 2 years and then start right up. I don't mind the lack of power so much, you get use to it and plan accordingly. The diesel is also quieter than my gasser but that could just be better insulation in the Wanderlodge. I'm very glad I made the upgrade.
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 10-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
First thing is you need to create a permanent signature in your profile, you can find out how to do that by going to How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

Since all Wanderlodges were custom built to a certain extent I really can't give you a definite answer to your questions, but most of the gasser models that I am familiar with did not have air ride suspension or air brakes, but maybe someone else will correct me.

Some may have the drive line retarder and some came with 20 inch tires as compared to the later model's with 22.5 tires. When you are looking at a 'Bird be aware that some have been upgraded to newer specifications by previous owners.

If you have questions about a particular 'Bird just ask about it here, there may be a forum member who is familiar with it and can fill in the details.
I think I have it worked out now.
"Eunice Fancypants"
Old 10-03-2009
Complete Greenhorn

Steve-
Where you at in FL? My coach is here by Ft Myers if you want to come see.

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 10-03-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
I think I have it worked out now.

You got it Ludlow....er I mean Steve, I was wondering about that first and last name in your profile, you know that can come back to haunt you

We will try to help you out in your quest for a 'Bird.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-03-2009

The major issue to consider when comparing the two engine types is the FUEL, duh.
Gasoline doesn't offer any lubrication properties, diesel fuel does. That's why diesels tend to live longer in 'continuous' operation enviroments.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 10-03-2009

Hi Steve,

I just spent since Feb this years hunting for a Wanderlodge and learned quite a few things about the Birds if I can be of any help let me know.

Denny
727 631 3844

1980 FC 33' SB
Old 10-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel View Post
Steve-
Where you at in FL? My coach is here by Ft Myers if you want to come see.
I am out in the boondocks, somewhat between Jacksonville and Lake city (North of Macclenny).

I would love to take a look at your coach. Which one do you have?
"Eunice Fancypants"
Old 10-03-2009
Complete Greenhorn

79 FC33. We are down at the South end of the state. You are actually not far from Mecca - Randy's place in Archer.

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man