Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-15-2011
Forum owner

Default 87fc swing radiator??

I'm working on an 87FC,replacing all the belts and fixing an air leak in the fan clutch.
My question to all you 87-88-89 FC guys,whats the easy way to swing the rad?
Where do you unhook the charge air cooler tubes?
What about the top Rad hose?
Give me the easy way!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-15-2011
Administrator

Hang on Randy, I wrote it up in the files , but I can not find to just Yet.
Old 01-15-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Hang on Randy, I wrote it up in the files , but I can not find to just Yet.

I found it the old Yahoo Finn Forum, I will copy & paste it here

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8CYyTT8...2088%2C%2089FC
Old 01-15-2011
Administrator

I wrote this up for another owner , it may help someone,Opening the front-end on a 1987, 88, 89 FC.Close the two red handled gate valves, driver side high up next to 3208.This will close off the coolant to the rear, I hear it is difficult to purge the air out of the rear coach heaters. There is a procedure in the book for filling and purgingthe rear heaters.Drain coolant into a container, about 8 to 10 gallons. The whole system is about 20+ gallons.Be sure the radiator **** pet valve is in the horizontal position, as not to hang up, and get bent, when the radiator is swung open.Unbolt the bumper, rest it on wooden blocks, Will need two people or a floor jack to reinstall.I use a battery operated screwdriver to remove the 16 Allen screw/bolts in the grill. You need a special tool to replace these Cert Nuts, so hopefully they are not rusted or stripped.If any of these Cert Nuts are loose in the metal skin, you could try to use a nut, washer,and bolt to try to tighten them. Use silver or copper antiseize on the bolts when reinstalling.Remove the WANDERLODGE name plate.Remove screws from right side Amber light mounting bracket, Do not disconnect the wires, store the light in the open area.Remove the two 3/4 inch bolts behind the amber light.Above the radiator cap remove the rubber air dam flaps and the metal strip, mark the metal strip and screw holes left to right side.Use a 7/16 ratchet box wrench, I tie a string around the end and wrap it around my fingers / wrist.This helps to ratchet back and forth and loosen the air tube sleeve clamps. This is a small tight space.Crawl inside the doghouse:Loosen the top radiator hose clamp, and remove the sensor wire at the top of the reservoir tank.This wire may not be long enough when radiator is open.This is a good time to use a flashlight to look left and down behind the A/C pump to see the two rear backing nuts for the thermostat housing. There are three bolts on the t-stat housing, two have nuts.If you want you can remove the air to air cooler, and the big piece of supporting steel across the front of the radiator / cooler, but it is not necessary unless you want to remove the entire radiator. Four more bolts take out the radiator, this is sometimes a good idea for a lot more room to work.If you can get the top radiator hose loosened, It is ready to swing open.It only opens at about a 45 degree angle, There is a stop at the left hinge. Try to lift and pull, use a flat bar.This will take some weight off as it drags when opening,Also the bottom radiator hose drags on a lower steel cross members, open slowly, Maybe use a prybar.Four more bolts will remove the Fan shroud. If it is necessary to remove the fan, Check the nuts, they could be one time use crush nuts , or nylon locking nuts, replace with new and / or use lock tight On some repairs, It may not be necessary to remove the fan as I worry,about the nuts and nut torque, and if that fan loosens up, it can cause major damage.It is a tight area, but I was able to replace the hoses, t-stat and later the Alternator.But most mechanics would remove the fan, I was just a coward, making the job just a little more difficult.In closing, the left air cooler hose will need to line up first, then the right and the radiator hose at about the same time, this is a two person job. Someone needs to be inside.Patty does not like to be in the Doghouse. But, that is my favorite place as I have some experience in Doghouse. That should do it !__________________Bill 88 FC Michigan
Old 01-15-2011

Randy, I did that exact job within the last 6 weeks...I found it's easier to completely remove the left side (drivers side) induction tube from the charge air cooler and from the intake manifold and then you will have access to that upper left side radiator hose clamp. While you're in the dog house remove the wire going to the 'low water' sensor on the surge tank. Loosen the hose clamps on the upper right (passengers side) from the charge air cooler and completely remove the charge air cooler. The radiator will only swing about 45 degrees so I found it quicker to remove the additional 4 bolts holding the right side of the radiator and set the radiator aside and get full frontal access to the belts etc.

Been a rainy day here at the Last Resort RV Park, Rockport, TX...give a shout if you need more information...Bill Pape is diggin' up the full swing proceedure.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 01-15-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-15-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
I found it the old Yahoo Finn Forum, I will copy & paste it here

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8CYyTT8...2088%2C%2089FC
Bill,

We will eventually get you out of the dark ages and get you to learn where the same things can be found right here on this forum and when this thread has run its coarse I'll also move it over to;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > 88FC swing radiator???

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-15-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Bill,

We will eventually get you out of the dark ages and get you to learn where the same things can be found right here on this forum and when this thread has run its coarse I'll also move it over to;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > 88FC swing radiator???

I was looking alphabetically in the files and could not find 88.
Old 01-15-2011
Forum owner

OK,thats about what I thought.
Man,its way easier to swing a rad on a non-intercooled FC.
Since i'm changing the coolant and the belts i will just remove the rad,thats way i can clean the CAC and the rad fins while i'm in there.
Bill and Dick are both half my size,so sliding into the dog house may be easy for them!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-15-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
I was looking alphabetically in the files and could not find 88.
Bill,

Try it again by clicking on "Thread" / Thread Starter and it will be the very first one that is a STICKY, I think that was what you did, but you blasted right by it..........sort of like you do when you just get to the bottom of those hills when I'm following you, just so you can blow smoke in my face

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88 SWING RADIATOR.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	8194  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-15-2011
Administrator

Yep scrolled past the first thread 88 topic , still learning.