Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-04-2018

Default Has anyone every heard of adding mineral oil to Batteries?

So, I heard a weird one, that the more I think about it, is not so weird. I wonder of anyone else has heard of this or cares to comment...

It has been said that adding Mineral Oil to Lead Acid Batteries (i.e. GC2 Batteries especially) can eliminate completely the problem of Acid SPlattering out of batteries. Apparently, it is said, you add 4oz of Mineral Oil to each 6V cell. This oil creates a thin layer (about 1/8" to 1/4" on the top of the electrolyte). By doing this, any bubbles carrying sulfuric acid have to pass through the oil to get "out" and in doing so, the water is stripped away and all that can escape is the gas (Hydrogen and Oxygen).

People online SWEAR by this...greatly reduces corrosion in enclosed battery compartments especially AND reduces the amount of evaporation that occurs. You can Google it and find some very credible discussion, but of course I do not believe everything that I Google (hence this post).

Sounds INSANE, but here are some of the points made in around this weirdness:

1) There is plenty of room in a GC2 battery to remove some electrolyte without exposing the plates. The distance between the top of the plates and the "Full" line is over an inch.

2) The Oil cannot mix with the water...so there is no problem with contamination of the Electolyte solution that of course needs to be in contact with the plates. The only caveat is you have to add oil ON TOP OF the electrolyte...REMOVE 5oz of electrolyte, add 4oz of oil then top off the electrolyte. This is to prevent the plates from being coated with oil while dry.

3) There is not as much room on top of the plates in Starting Batteries (vs. GC2) so probably not possible for these.

I am reorganizing my batteries, and am considering doing this at least for the two batteries that are in an enclosed bay on my FC.

Does anyone have any experience with this (a search on WOG did not find any previous documents)?
1981 FC-33 "RV Where Yet?"
www.AreWeWhereYet.us
Old 11-04-2018
Forum owner

Its an old trick,and about 20 years ago someone was selling batteries with the oil already in place.
If you ever use a hydrometer your not going to be happy!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-04-2018

Never, never, never, never add oil to a battery. It's an old wives tale gone bad!!

It's kind of like "free beer" or dating a pole dancer when you're in high school... it SOUNDS awesome, but in practice... bad things will happen!

A gassing battery is caused by a bad charger or dead cells, resulting in a charger dumping more voltage than is needed. I have 6 Trojan T-105's coupled with a Xantrex 3-stage pro-sine 2.0. The batteries are over two years old and have never developed any crust or corrosion.

Once the oil touches the lead plates, the chemical reaction needed between the electrolyte and lead is basically shut down. In a static environment, this might work... but bouncing down the highway... not so.

Again, a gassing battery is caused by poor charging or bad cells. The bad charging can come from a "cheaper" inverter-charger or a flaky alternator.

"That which you most need to find will be found where you least want to look"
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912

Last edited by sfedeli; 11-04-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2018

Wink

Im guessing a good dose of penicillin with the oil wouldn’t work either.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 11-04-2018

Sounds like a typical RV band-aid to me. You will still need to water your batteries, but now you have an oil slick to deal with to do it. I guess it could cut down on corrosion, has that been a problem for you? If you properly charge and maintain the charge on your batteries you shouldn't have much of a corrosion or watering issue. Most of the corrosion and general short lifespan on RV's is caused by crummy chargers that just cook the heck out of them.

I did a little research today and the anecdotes about Thomas Edison, telecom, railroad, and transformers (what?) using mineral oil are funny to read, thanks for giving me a chuckle this morning
Old 11-04-2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	VX6.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	58713Try This!
2008 Dynamax Dynaquest 340XL
[email]RShrimp@Yahoo.com[/email]
Old 11-04-2018

So, the WOG brain trust is largely against (snake) oil in batteries! At least the folks with nothing else to do on an early Sunday morning! ;-)

Maybe i need to get me some of that VX-6! Or maybe just a Bloody Mary at brunch?
1981 FC-33 "RV Where Yet?"
www.AreWeWhereYet.us
Old 11-04-2018

Years ago I found a case of the VX-6, still sitting in my shop, with some other vintage products.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 11-04-2018

I love the Trailer line for VX6! "I'd rather race without tires......"
2008 Dynamax Dynaquest 340XL
[email]RShrimp@Yahoo.com[/email]
Old 11-04-2018
AKA Tent Boy

Shane,
Right as usual!!!
When I took the BMC to Spartan, in Charlotte MI, I did the 44 point inspection and the could not load test the batts because the tech said there was oil in the batts!!! Did not know this, that they had oil in them as we went a few months after we purchased!!!

"TOMORROW"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Never, never, never, never add oil to a battery. It's an old wives tale gone bad!!

It's kind of like "free beer" or dating a pole dancer when you're in high school... it SOUNDS awesome, but in practice... bad things will happen!

A gassing battery is caused by a bad charger or dead cells, resulting in a charger dumping more voltage than is needed. I have 6 Trojan T-105's coupled with a Xantrex 3-stage pro-sine 2.0. The batteries are over two years old and have never developed any crust or corrosion.

Once the oil touches the lead plates, the chemical reaction needed between the electrolyte and lead is basically shut down. In a static environment, this might work... but bouncing down the highway... not so.

Again, a gassing battery is caused by poor charging or bad cells. The bad charging can come from a "cheaper" inverter-charger or a flaky alternator.

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
busbum@icloud.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"