Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 11-11-2010
Giddy up let's go

Default Air compressor won't reach operation pressure

So my problem is that the pressure in the air system seems to stick a 50 psi on my 1980 bluebird 31 footer. It's catapillar engine is a 3205 turbo deisel. I did find what looks like a regulator with an adjustment screw on the rear side of the compressor and notice that it bleeds off pressure as soon as I shut off the engine. That can't be normal right? Because the system is airing down completely and the suspension air springs are even down. By the way, both gauges are consistent regarding pressure loss. Can anyone help?

Last edited by roverblaine; 11-11-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2010
Administrator

Here is a picture on the Governor, about a 25.00 part at any truck parts store, or NAPA. IF it is old replace it,
But I suspect an air leak in the system, keep looking and listening.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bendi...item3caa0535d8
Old 11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverblaine View Post
So my problem is that the pressure in the air system seems to stick a 50 psi on my 1980 bluebird 31 footer. It's catapillar engine is a 3205 turbo deisel. I did find what looks like a regulator with an adjustment screw on the rear side of the compressor and notice that it bleeds off pressure as soon as I shut off the engine. That can't be normal right? Because the system is airing down completely and the suspension air springs are even down. By the way, both gauges are consistent regarding pressure loss. Can anyone help?
You could have a broken unloading valve in the compressor. But as Bill has suggested, the Air Governor is cheap. As to your staying at 50 pounds air pressure, that is the check valves saving air for your brake system.

If you don't take the time to set up a Signature the dreaded Signature Cops will be after you.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-11-2010
Forum owner

Rover,just to clear this up for you,the regulator is called a governor on a bus/truck,
Welcome to the site!

Us deaf guys have to use a detector to listen for air leaks,there are electronic ones and then theres the kids,if you have kids,let them listen for the leaks,if you don't have kids,borrow one!
Thats what I do.
Or,get a squirt gun with soapy water in it and squirt everything,looking for bubbles..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-11-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverblaine View Post
Something like this happened to me when I first got the coach. Never had a air system before. I was at a tight campground and could not air up the suspension after being parked for a few days. So I'm sitting there running the 3208 CAT and filling the neighbor's rigs with fumes and the neighbors are fuming!

I start walking around listening for a leak and sure enough, I hear the air bleeding out at about mid coach on the drivers side. Well I look under and cannot find the leak. Then I listen closer and find it is coming from a compartment. I open the compartment door and the air hose is plugged into the aux air chuck and the fill valve jammed open by a bucket in the compartment! That's when I learned not to keep the hose plugged into the aux air chuck! Part of my learning curve!

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 11-11-2010
RV Appraiser

Blaine, Is that you?
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee "Franicon"
Retired: Auctioneer, RE Broker, and Certified Vehicle & Heavy Equipment Appraiser
"Dead man walking"
502-417-5681
Old 11-11-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Blaine,

Check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions >Air Bakes System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If you don't take the time to set up a Signature the dreaded Signature Cops will be after you.
I have mellowed in my old age, I set up Blaine's signature for him, see I'm not as mean as I used to be

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-11-2010

Blaine, Some leaks are so bad that they won't bubble. If you have aux air source you can plug into the air fitting in the driver's side center compartment, then you can look for the leak without running the motor. If you decide to change the air governor, figure a way to mark the lines and fittings so they will be installed on the new gov properly. I sometimes draw a picture. All the ports on a gov have an identifying name like EX for exhaust.
Shoot a few pics of your motor and engine compartment. Did you do the engine swap?

-Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 08-31-2012

Unhappy No air

Greetings all, long time no see. I had intended all along to be back about now, but not to be showing up with a problem.

So we moved the bus from storage to the house yesterday to load and leave this morning. Except the suspension air wouldn't go above 20psi. 11am, call Good Sam, we decide it's the governor, the mechanic is on the way.

4:30, move the mattress, the mechanic pulls the hose off the compressor and finds debris in it. Have to be in a shop to replace the hose, back to Good Sam to set up the tow.

9pm, The tow driver pops his hose onto the disconnected hose to air the system and release the brakes, and we get Diagnosis 2.0. The hose from the compressor to the air dryer is busted. We access the aux air chuck, but he did not have the right adaptor to connect his hose to it. Instead he tried to get to the front reservoir per what I was reading from Section 7 of the Blue Book. Naturally there's no room. [He wanted us to put her on the jacks. His supervisor kiboshed that.]

Right now we're reboot to daylight. Here I was about to brag on Good Sam's, but they've called back while I'm typing, and we're gonna have a go-round tomorrow because they've just left me to go to bed lurched - they've sent out one each mechanic and tow, and can't send the same service out twice.

The whole time I'm out there on the curb, I'm thinking, "someone in the WOG has had this problem...."

And speaking of bed, it's half of midnight....
My best to everyone,

Debbie Huffman Grey
Finally full-timing / Kids in Houston, Texas
1985 PT-40 "Festina Lente"
1993 Toyota Pickup "Phoenix"
FMCA 424082 VB 1639 SKP 112690 GS Life Member
Old 08-31-2012

Here is the deal Debbie. If they sent a tow truck with the wrong equipment they should send another truck.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656