Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 05-05-2019

Default S60 Thermostat Problem

I added the Blue Fire Engine Computer Display and one of the parameters I monitor is the engine temp in both Analog and Digital mode. On the last few trips I noticed that the engine temp which normally runs about 180 had crept up to 185 and then the very last trip on a cool day which did not involve hills just freeway driving the temp was running 190. I took the coach in and they found one of the thermostats had come apart. Had the mechanic replace both and the last trip the temp was back to 180 except for a long haul up the Grapevine where it went to 190. The only unusual thing on the last trip was a check engine light that came on and cleared itself. I checked all the fluids and gauges and everything was normal. The code displayed on the fault check by the Blue Fire system was "L". I have not been able to reference this to anything on the engine or transmission. Has anyone ever seen this fault code?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Fire Dash (2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	61818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat Bad.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	61819  
Old 05-05-2019

DD thermostats used to be heavy cast units. Now all you can get is those cheap pressed metal thermostats. Sorry to hear it blew apart like that.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 05-06-2019
Forum owner

Lucas,did they just pull the stats out for inspection or did they have another way to figure it out?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-07-2019

Default S60 Thermostat Problem

Randy inspecting the thermostats was the first step in looking for the cause of the engine running at 190 on a cool, 70 degree day on a level highway. This was a very quick change while on short trips. Once the mechanic removed the thermostat housing it was obvious what the problem was. He checked the coolant and checked the inside of the radiator that he could access by removing a hose and it looked clean. The last trip did confirm that the temperature of the engine is back to normal. One thing I did notice I had to add fluid to the cooling system 4 times before it stopped going lower after running the engine. I suspect air locks in the system.
Old 05-08-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaswillemse View Post
Randy inspecting the thermostats was the first step in looking for the cause of the engine running at 190 on a cool, 70 degree day on a level highway. This was a very quick change while on short trips. Once the mechanic removed the thermostat housing it was obvious what the problem was. He checked the coolant and checked the inside of the radiator that he could access by removing a hose and it looked clean. The last trip did confirm that the temperature of the engine is back to normal. One thing I did notice I had to add fluid to the cooling system 4 times before it stopped going lower after running the engine. I suspect air locks in the system.

Thats some good diagnostics right there,in my book anyway.
Thanks for the post,its good info.
I have never seen a stat fall apart like that.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-08-2019
Forum owner

I wonder if you could find that problem with a temp gun?
I bet you could.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-08-2019

Default S60 thermosta

Randy it could have confirmed that the thermostats had a problem, it might have shown there was a difference between the two sides of the thermostat housing, but since the change was sudden and developed over the last few trips the mechanic and I both felt the best candidate was a thermostat problem.
Old 05-08-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaswillemse View Post
Randy it could have confirmed that the thermostats had a problem, it might have shown there was a difference between the two sides of the thermostat housing, but since the change was sudden and developed over the last few trips the mechanic and I both felt the best candidate was a thermostat problem.

Yeah,a comparison between the two should show up a bad one.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-08-2019

Lucas what temperature rated thermostats did they install? What temperature does your transmission fluid normally see?

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42
Old 05-08-2019

Default S60 Thermostats

Andy, the replacement thermostats were the same as the old, 190 degrees. The digital computer readout for the engine temp runs at 179-182 unless I am going up a hill and then it can climb to 190. The transmission fluid temp usually runs about 200, the only time I have seen an increase in that is if we are stuck in heavy traffic with lots of idling in gear. I have seen over 250 or higher. Unfortunately living in LA we see heavy traffic every time we leave or come home.