Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Thats the report we were looking for!
Its like having a new bus now!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuenti View Post
the engine performed as designed. For the return trip home I borrowed a ScanGauge Diesel so I could compare readings to the dash gauges. I'm glad I did as I discovered some discrepancies in the readings.

The new Radiator and CAC worked flawlessly. Here are some of the performance highlights/changes I observed:

1. Turbo boost hit 25+ when needed, actually passing trucks on grades. I have never been able to do this. I easily maintained 60+MPH up grades for the first time EVER in this coach and could have easily gone faster had I chosen to do so. As mentioned before, my turbo boost would not pass 7 prior to this repair. Clearly, my CAC has been cracked all along.

2. The pyrometer never hit 600°F...the whole trip. This includes the climb up Chiriaco Summit, and the climb up to Banning through the windmills. In the past, temps would rise to about 1,000°F, at times I would even have to pull over to let the engine cool (even in cooler weather). Heck, in the past, I was thrilled to keep the pyrometer below 700°F

3. No smoke coming out through the exhaust on the roof. Even when under a load, there was no discernible smoke. In the past, I would see brownish exhaust with the engine under load or while climbing a grade.

4. Water temps maintained at about 184-186°F (ScanGauge not dash gauge). During the steepest climb it got to 193°F (got back to mid-high 180's within a few minutes of my letting off the gas), although I was also in 6th and maintaining 60+MPH. I suspect that I could have controlled the temp by downshifting and increasing my RPM's, which I will attempt during our subsequent travels. Based on the readings on the ScanGauge, my analogue gauge reads about 10°F higher. When taking this into consideration, I would estimate that previously the water temps exceeded 205°F and possibly as high as 110°F+ when taking on steep grades (e.g., Cajon Pass, Grapevine, east bound Chiriaco Summit, etc.). Nonetheless, operating temps are now at least 10°F cooler than before, with no significant spiking.

5. MPG improved from about 4.4mpg to 6.2mpg for this leg of the trip. When taking into consideration the cost of fuel in CA, this is HUGE!!! I suspect I can do even better if I am more mindful of fuel economy, but to be perfectly honest, I was simply having too much fun experiencing what this coach was capable of doing.

6. Not sure this is even related to the CAC, but it appeared to me that even the engine brake was working better. It was holding the speed during the descent to Indio better than it had in the past. This may well have been a placebo effect on my part, but it sure seemed better to meat.
The values you state may not be what everyone else has or optimal but it is all you need to build a baseline for future comparison. With a recorded baceline you and the nextowner can use those values to perdict mechanical failure. Silverleaf geeks often look at these values with blank stares no history and no idea of what they predict. . A print out of readable values at stated condition is a better tool. Even simple stuff like how long the tag takes to fill. What temp a particular surface of the front drums get after a given set of stopping conditions location and ambient temps is good to have.

I cant think of a reason why the jake brake would work with more for or how to give that force a value.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly be keeping a closer eye on readings and trying to learn more about their significance. Clearly, I had no idea that a max reading of less than 10psi on the boost was of any significance. Had I known, I would have had the CAC checked when I first drove the bus home. Knowledge is indeed power!

As for physical readings outside the coach, I guess I need to be more diligent about getting these readings. Is there a walk-around checklist I should be considering when stopping for fuel or the sort? I go through a checklist and walk-around before getting on the road, however, I have not taken temps of brake drums, or other components. Should I be doing this? If so, is there a list of things that would be helpful to check?

Driving a bus that weighs nearly 50K pounds is something I've learned to take very seriously. I am certainly open to learning anything that will improve my ability to safely operate this amazing piece of engineering.