Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-16-2011

Default Fixed it - Generator Fuel Pressure Relay

I decided to go ahead and post my repair. I know there are a lot of guys out there like me, that just get overwhelmed on working on these things. So, since this simpleton got his fixed I decided maybe I can encourage others to try their luck too. You guys that know what your doing can just ignore this post, because it won't tell you anything you don't already know.

When we were on our vacation a few weeks ago, we stayed at a national park and needed the gennie. Well, as luck would have it the gennie quit on me one evening, as I was trying to charge the batteries, before quiet time. I tried and tried to restart it but it just wouldn't start again. A couple of days later I finally found a NAPA and got a couple of fuel filters, thinking maybe that the filter was plugged. So, I took of the old filter, filled the new one with ATF and put it back on. I hit the starter and it started up. I went back and cracked open the connection a little and watched the air escape. I was running fine. For about 2 minutes. Well that wasn't the problem I quess. So, I didn't mess with it anymore while on vacation. Didn't want to spoil the good time we were having. Just couldn't do any dry camping. No big deal.

Got home and finally today took the time to work on the gennie. Got out my schematics on the gennie. I honestly don't know what I'm looking at when I look at those things but these were a little easier to understand. More details than on the others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	098.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	11344

Name:	099.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	11345

I wondered if I may have had a problem with the fuel pump. I took off the filter again today and found that it was half full of ATF and no diesel fuel in it. But when looking at the schematic I noticed that there is a pressure switch and a relay that apparently acitivates it. It made me think. I was messing around with some wires in the cabinet where the origianl back up monitor was and although I didn't notice a lot of spark, there was a little bit of one when I touched one of the wires on the cigarette outlet down there. Anyway, it wasn't long after that when the gennie stopped. I honestly didn't put 2 and 2 together at that time. But after looking at the schematics it made me think. Did I do something to the electrical end of this thing? I recall Randy and others talking about the ice cube relays in the control box of the gennie. I didn't even know what or where that would be. I finally guessed it was the box in the front street side bay where the switch is to
slide the gennie out and start it too. Well, let me say that just getting the screws loose was a chore in itself. I dought that it has ever been opened since it was built, so there was a little bit of rust on those screws. PB Blaster to the rescue and about two hours of time. I got the box open.

Name:	094.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	11340 Click image for larger version

Name:	095.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	11341

I found the relay that runs the pressure switch, took it out, and went to NAPA to get a replacement.

Name:	096.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	637.1 KB
ID:	11342 Click image for larger version

Name:	097.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	11343

I then put the new one in, took the filter off again, filled it with ATF. I started her up and craked the filter and watched the bubbles and finally saw diesel fuel come out instead of ATF and no bubbles. It ran for a half and hour and I put a load on it and all seems fine

So, because I have read nearly every post and thread on WOG I was able to recall what others have said to do in similar situations. Even though when I read it I didn't know that I would need it I still read them all because you never know. I just hope that those like me that get a little scared about working on these things, read this and gain some confidence. Because if I can do it anybody can. Each time I work on something and get good results like this it boosts my confidence level out the roof.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN

Last edited by iamflagman; 11-22-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2011
Forum owner

Jim.
Its storys like yours that keeps us all working,posting and helping guys like you fix their coachs.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-16-2011

Nice job, Jim! Thanks for sharing as it gives the rest of us a confidence boost as well!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 07-16-2011

Nice job! Can you come over to my house?
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 07-17-2011
Administrator

Thanks Jim,

We love these success stories
Old 07-17-2011

Default Fixed it

Jim, great post!

Like you, I too read every post on this forum. Most often there will be something posted that I will copy, index and put in a file I keep in my 'bird box. Your "Fixed it" post will soon be filed away under "Generator Pressure Relay".This techno-challenged lawyer is still a newbie and I need all the help I can get.

Problem is, "Where do I put a filing cabinet in my 'bird.....?"
Old 07-17-2011

Default Fixed it

Forgot to tell all you WOG'ers that thanks to your help on fuel filter changes, I "kinda-sorta" changed all mine Friday. By "kinda-sorta", I had a friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic stand by while I did the work. Racor was the challenge, but I got-er-done!

Thanks, y'all - it was one small step down the learning curve.....
Old 07-17-2011

Heck, I changed my air filter on the series 60 yesterday. The instructions said a 15 minute job, but I acted like I was being paid by the hour and made it an hour and fifteen minute job.

Boy was the old one dirty. I want to thank who ever posted saying that a dirty air filter could make the soot covering my car. I do not know if it fixed that problem, but I will find out. This air filter was last replaced on 10/30/2006 and my soot problem began about 18 months ago. I put yesterday's date on the outside of this filter. As a matter of fact, I put the date on the outside of all my filters when I change them. It can be a wake up call.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 07-17-2011

Default Fixed it

Richard, I need to change my air filter, but I can't seem to find the right filter. maybe some one with an 8 v 92 will speak up with a brand/part #. Isit a cartridge/filter insert or do you have to replace the 'whole thing', metal cannister and all?
Old 07-17-2011
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Richard, I need to change my air filter, but I can't seem to find the right filter. maybe some one with an 8 v 92 will speak up with a brand/part #. Isit a cartridge/filter insert or do you have to replace the 'whole thing', metal cannister and all?

You will have to change the whole thing,metal can and all.
As a side note its amazing to me the trouble we run into trying to buy these air filters.
Rick was working on a WB and needed a filter and his local parts people drew a blank.
He called me and while I didn't have a part number i did have a Wix filter book and all i needed was the size of the filter and the location of the inlet and outlet.
In 2 minutes i had Rick a filter number and he called the parts house and they ordered one for him.
So,next time take the measurements with you and look in the book!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com