Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 09-22-2011

Default M380 Gauges

What do you know about m380 gauges? My oil pressure gauge at the dash stopped working. I replaced the sending unit (VDO) on the block and the dash gauge. Still not sure who makes the dash gauge. Anyway, still doesn't work. There is some kind of intellegence (data link) between the sending units and all of the dash gauges. Any ideas where to look now?
Old 09-22-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverg View Post
What do you know about m380 gauges? My oil pressure gauge at the dash stopped working. I replaced the sending unit (VDO) on the block and the dash gauge. Still not sure who makes the dash gauge. Anyway, still doesn't work. There is some kind of intellegence (data link) between the sending units and all of the dash gauges. Any ideas where to look now?
If it turns out to be the gauge itself I believe Dan Sunderland may have replacements. He had the whole instrument panels for m380 for sale at one time.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 09-23-2011

Default M380 Guages

Thanks, but I don't think it's the guage. I do have a new one I got from Western Bus. There is some sort of data link between all of the sending units and the guages. No guage on the dash is directly wired to it's sending unit as in most normal auto apps. If you look at the back of the guage dash you can see how they are all wired together in a simple three wire series out of the speedometer.
Old 09-23-2011

Garry,

If you have the Cummins "Road Relay" option in your coach, you can check the oil pressure with it. It probably uses the same inputs from the engine computer that the gage does. That might give some indication as to where the issue might be. I would think you would be getting a check engine alarm if the computer does not see oil pressure.

I am sure you would like to have an operating oil pressure gage, but there are other ways on these engines to check the pressure.
Old 09-23-2011

Default M380 guages

Thanks Jim. I do have road relay and it indicates 55 psi any time the engine is running. I understand BB did this because they had trouble getting the psi to register properly in the road relay. The fix was to just have the road relay report 55 as long as there was adequate oil pressure period. The Cummins does have a low pressure shut down that will prevent you from operating at all without pressure. I believe this signal comes off the two wire VDO sender --- one for guage pressure, the other for 'switch off'. There is some link between all the guages and their senders that I just have not figured out yet.
Old 09-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverg View Post

The gauge controllers on the m380-450 are from Pacific Insight in Vancouver, BC. The PRX-1 module ( a blue box about 5 inches square) is the controller for the dash. The PRX-3 module is for generator and other things on the 450, don't know if the same on the 380.

You may have a pulled pin in a connector. Check that first. Try resetting the connector in the module.

Programming is Bluebird proprietary. You can call Allen Barbee at the Bluebird Body Bus CO. and he may be able to help. He may have access to the wiring schematic. Or www.pacificinsight.com for the company. If the module is bad I believe I have one.

Contacts for PI below

BBD PRX1-D V1.0.pdf

BBD PRX1-F V1.0.pdf
San Marcos, CA

Old 09-23-2011

Contacts for PI

Dennis Jeschke 800-995-1155
San Marcos, CA

Old 09-23-2011

Default M380 guages

Thanks Dan, Looking for the Blue Box and will check connections. It's good to know Allen is over at the bus dept. He was the only one I could get to answer his phone near the end of Wanderlodge.
Old 09-23-2011

Garry, welcome aboard. When able, tell us more about your M380. Some day I want to own an M380...
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 12-21-2012

Default m380 gauges

i also have a problem with my m380 gauges. my speedometer isn't working,

the only way my other gauges work is if i turn the lights on... where is the blue box located???

thanks Joel