Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-11-2012

Default Automatic Transfer Switch

OK, well on our very first trip a whopping 3 hours away, somewhere along the road my ATS had a melt down. When we got to the site (at 9 at night of course),
I noticed the leg meters going nuts and obviously the lights were too. I shut down the genny and tried to hook up A/C, but could get no power. My nose led me to the ATS, which had a burned smell. I opened to find the Genny side had completely melted the connectors. After an hour or so, trying several combinations of of fixes and could not get power from the load side over to the leg side so I ended up bypassing the switch altogether and finally at 11pm got power to the coach.

I assume that as the switched are riveted into the case that the entire assembly is replaced or can you get the Cuttler Hammer switched and just replace them?
Are these switches readily available?

I still love this bus!
Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 08-11-2012
pgchd

FYI,
Corey is a bird owner and member here, he was also a Barth owner, he did a SUPER write up / how to on a bird ATS removal and reinstall below, should have EVERY thing you need and parts, etc...... I saved the link for a future rainy day!!!!! Great job Corey!!!!!!!!

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/...557#7183956557
Old 08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlegue2 View Post
OK, well on our very first trip a whopping 3 hours away, somewhere along the road my ATS had a melt down. When we got to the site (at 9 at night of course),
I noticed the leg meters going nuts and obviously the lights were too. I shut down the genny and tried to hook up A/C, but could get no power. My nose led me to the ATS, which had a burned smell. I opened to find the Genny side had completely melted the connectors. After an hour or so, trying several combinations of of fixes and could not get power from the load side over to the leg side so I ended up bypassing the switch altogether and finally at 11pm got power to the coach.

I assume that as the switched are riveted into the case that the entire assembly is replaced or can you get the Cuttler Hammer switched and just replace them?
Are these switches readily available?

I still love this bus!
Ed
Ed, I replaced only the Cuttler Hammer relay in my '99 LXi 43. Drilled out the rivets. Pretty simple swap.
Old 08-11-2012

Thanks Pete, we're over a Wekiva Falls KOA for the weekend missing the breeze from the coast!

Cheers

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 08-11-2012

Ed, There is a hugh Flea Market not far from you. While at Wekiva Falls we spent a few hours looking for bargins. Just outside Mt Dora on US Hwy 441. Worth the trip if your into that stuff.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-11-2012
cmillsap

Ed,

I had the same problem with the original ATS on the 2000 LXI that I owned. I think that switch is not beefy enough. The Surge Guard model 41260 ($229) is a direct replacement. The cheapest place I found to buy the replacement was here....

http://www.dyersonline.com/surge-gua...rotection.html

I also had a problem with the ATS on my M380. A loose wire connection on the terminal strip created a lot of heat and burned the wires and the terminal strip. It appears that the wire connections within the switch have a habit of loosing themselves.

This is a real fire hazard. I would advise everyone to cut the power to the coach and check for any loose wire connections in their Automatic Transfer Switch or have an electrician do so.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120620_0001_1.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	17800  

Last edited by cmillsap; 08-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2012

Talking

I ended up ordering transfers switch (Surge Guard 41260) from dyers as suggested. Saved me $40.00 even with shipping. Locally they wanted $270.00 pluse tax. Drag waiting for it to get here but hopefully it will be here before the weekend. Maybe the wife and I can put it in together as a 35th wedding anniversary?

Thanks for all the help. This forum is like having a garage full of Bird owners just sitting around waiting to solve a problem.. It's awesome.

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 08-21-2012

I installed a Surge Guard 41260 Saturday, and it seems to work good. I did have a situation where it seemed to do an in phase transfer which is not good for motors. A good delay going from shore power to genny but as I shut down the genny it switched immediately over to shore power which was still energized. The key is to shut down the Genset before energizing the shore power. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way?

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 08-22-2012
cmillsap

Quote:
I installed a Surge Guard 41260 Saturday, and it seems to work good. I did have a situation where it seemed to do an in phase transfer which is not good for motors. A good delay going from shore power to genny but as I shut down the genny it switched immediately over to shore power which was still energized. The key is to shut down the Genset before energizing the shore power. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way?

Ed
Ed,

If you start the generator when connected to shore power; the ATS will switch to the generator. If you shut off the generator when connected to shore power: the ATS will switch to shore power. That is the purpose of the ATS. It will automatically switch to the available power supplied but gives the on board genset priorty.

However, I just do not like having 2 120V power supplies available in my ATS at the same time; so I make it a habit to not start the genset if connected to shore power. I always unload and shut off my genset before connecting to shore power.

Chuck
Old 08-22-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:

Ed

Ed, that's the way it works. In fact, if you inserted an automatic delay when transfer switching from generator to shore power then the inverters will power up in the interim. You'd end up with two out of phase transfers: genny to inverters and then inverters to shore power. For motors under 25hp or so, I don't think out of phase transfers is a problem.