Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 05-30-2008

Default Digital TV Deadline / Analog to Digital TV Coverter

In my 85FC the OEM combo 9" color TV/BW camera monitor in the front overhead dash works well. TV reception in urban areas been pretty good. Not being a big TV watcher the OEM TV and a separate DVD playing portable LCD TV that we use in the rear bedroom has covered our needs. We simply do not watch enough TV to warrant moving to a sat system. If we put the antenna up and get a signal...great. If not, we grab a book, IPOD or a DVD movie.

I just finished hooking up my new Analog-Digital converter box. It fits barely into the cabinet where the existing TV antenna control is. Leaving the door up allows use of the boxs' IR remote. An easy hook up to the existing cable and power outlet. This box now controls channel changes...can be a bit odd to point the remote over your shoulder to change channels when the TV is in front of you. I got the box at Wal-Mart (Magnavox) - it barely fits. I read that the Winegard unit from Camper World is a bit smaller.

I am very impressed with the results. On all digital channels were we have a good broadcast signal the picture and sound quality is outstanding. In my area I had with the OEM set-up about 3 fair and 2 good analog channels....now by adding the converter I am getting the org. 5 very sharp, and added about 6 more "new" ones that come in perfect. One channel I found is just weather radar.

Anyway, I thought some would be interested in how a minimalist non-sat type set up would work using the OEM TV and rotating antenna. My opinion is that it is great, but is clearly dependant on a good digital signal which may be limited to urban areas. In the boonies, clearly if you want TV, sat is the way to go.

With the $40.00 coupon from "the government" (my money anyway), the box cost me $9.00 plus tax.

Frank
85FC33
Woodbridge, VA.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79

Last edited by iamflagman; 08-15-2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Combined threads and changed title
Old 05-30-2008
Administrator

Frank,

Thanks for the update, we purchased the same $9.00 Magnavox.
Good to hear about the extra channels. I have not installed it Yet!

Do you or anyone have a wiring diagram for the coax cable in the Birds???

We have a TV front and rear, with the VCR in the rear, and also the A/B switch from roof antenna to shore line coax cable.
The splitters are hidden in the walls, It would be nice to know how things are wired. We know there is a four way splitter and maybe two , two way splitters, hidden somewhere.????

When using high speed Internet cable hookup the signal is lost inside the Bird coax wiring.

So the Internet cable must be hooked directly to the modem.
It seems that the Bird wiring can not be used for both, TV & Internet.
Old 05-30-2008

Default Coax wiring???

Bill, sorry do not have a diagram. In my "antenna cabinet" which is located just forward of the entry door in the overhead storage I have one powered splitter/amplifiler that routes all and the remote control for the rotary antenna. I do not know if this is the OEM set up.

When I got my coach I had to test each cable to learn where it went...there are cables for the OEM dash TV, and ones for the main antenna lead, external cable feed, as well as front, center and rear antenna jack ports. To switch from roof antenna to outside cable feed, I just switch cables, I do not use an A/B switch. Once tested and labeled, it all made sense....until then, I was scratching my head.

I hooked the new converter between the main antenna feed and the powered splitter/router.

Frank
85FC33
Woodbridge, Va.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 05-31-2008
Administrator

Thanks Frank,

No amplifier in our Bird , Just lots of wire and signal loss, but the TV's work
fine for our limited use. I did install an HD TV and I feel the picture could be better. I just need to buzz out the wiring and run a direct
coax for Internet. Would like to eliminate some of the unnecessary wire.
Or install a amp.
Old 08-13-2008

Default Digital TV deadline

I would like to ask if/how folks are preparing for the digital changeover. Is there a digital antenna to replace the one on the pop up mount? JOE sends
Dover, Fla.
Retired from first job...
Working too hard at second one !!!
Old 08-13-2008
Administrator

Joe,

The antenna is fine , the TV needs to have a digital tuner, or a digital tuner box between the antenna and the old style TV.
Old 08-13-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Joe,

The antenna is fine , the TV needs to have a digital tuner, or a digital tuner box between the antenna and the old style TV.
Joe,

You can get a free coupon that will take off $40.00 on the purchase of a Digital TV Converter Box for you analog TV at https://www.dtv2009.gov/

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-13-2008
ANOTHER REDNECK

got my 2 boxes

cost 11 bux for both with the rebate

i still might get a sat dish but.......regular tv works for me sometimes!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 08-14-2008

I have being following this topic with interest.
The site I have being looking at is http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/RVs_and_Digital_TV.html
Questions,
Analog pass-through
12 volt
Signal strength meter
Units with $40.00 coupon applied to
Sold
Old 08-15-2008
wanderlodge3208

All the factory wiring and antenna work great for our new HD tv's.. both HD and digital channels. So nice, hardly use the sat dish! I get 26 digital and only like 13 <snowy> analog channels. Ghosts and all! lol.. Digital crystal clear, like DirecTv!