Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-21-2013

Default RV Dash for iPad

This is really cool. Supposed to work with a DDEC engine (S60 and 8v92).
Shows the same thing as VMSPC but on your iPad.
I have no dog in this hunt just thought it is cool... and free:
http://rvtechtools.com/rvdash.html

You have to buy THIS
to connect the system and I will update when I find out pricing: CanPOD (non-wifi): $495 CAN to wifi: $595 ... not sure if you need to have both... will find out...

Last edited by pairodice; 02-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2013
Geek

Adrian, your first link goes to the same URL as the second, instead of what it says. Here is the correct link: http://rvtechtools.com/rvdash.html
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 02-21-2013

I would like that!
Old 02-21-2013

Would love that for my Cummins
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 02-21-2013
Geek

It is strange that there is so little available about the device. No place to buy it, no information on the API for programming it. If their general information is true, probably quite a few of us could write apps for accessing/displaying the data. I know I could write programs for Windows, but everything about this stuff is rather coy. The guy who wrote the iPad app apparently sells the device, but even with him you have to e-mail him just to find out how! What a way to run a business...
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 02-22-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
It is strange that there is so little available about the device. No place to buy it, no information on the API for programming it.
Probably vaporware.
Full-time in 2019
Old 02-22-2013

I downloaded the app from the Apple Store (free) and it looks pretty nice.
Hopefully will here from them today on the module price...
Module: http://www.cubiclabs.com/sensenet_can_and_wireless.htm
Old 02-22-2013

Here is the price I have no dog in here.

"Currently I am charging $750 for a complete software and hardware bundle. This includes a wireless CANpod, appropriate cable from CANpod to the diagnostic port, and both applications. The applications can be downloaded for free from the Apple website, but the bundle price includes the software apps."
Old 02-22-2013

Ray is a friend of mine and very active in the Prevost Community, his RV Dash has been in a beta test stage for a few years by a bunch of the Prevost owners and it is now available for purchase. Here is a link to my site that has a general discussion going on about the RV Dash:

PC Link

I too have no dog in this hunt, but Ray's product is the real deal.
2004 Prevost Marathon H
Lifeline Batteries
Pressure Pro
Old 02-22-2013

Hello Guys,

My name is Ray Davis, and the RV Dash is my product. Don, you may remember me. We met first out at Quartzite I think in 2006, and I attended the Datastorm rally at Kerville. I had the red Prevost with the F3 dish.

This was a personal project, done in my off-hours. I own a Prevost, and originally wanted an easy way to read error codes from the DDEC. Being a registered Apple developer, I wanted to do something with an iPad, and so I started back in Sep 2011 looking for hardware that would allow me to talk to my DDEC with an iPad.

I soon learned that the my bus, and the generation of Prevost's owned by members of clubs I frequent (POG, PC), the DDEC speaks J1587, not J1939 which is the newer protocol. So, I had to find wifi device that could talk J1587. I found the CANpod from Cubic Labs, and began developing my product.

The RV Dash is the first of two applications. It connects via wifi to the CANpod device, initializes it, and starts data streaming. It then decodes in the data from the device, and operates about 25 gauges, set on two pages of the app. Currently the application ONLY speaks J1587. I have only tested on Prevost buses running either an 8v92 or S60 engine. I have had beta testers out for just over a year, running in a number of different buses, running from a 1990's 8v to a 2007 S60 based bus.

The second app is a universal app, will run on both iPad and iPhone, and is a DDEC error decoder reader/clearer. It has currently been submitted to the App Store, but is awaiting review. I expect it to hit the store within the next wek.

I have been very tentative about selling this outside of the Prevost market, because I haven't got any testing with other vehicles. I will say in general the newer the vehicle, the more data that is streaming down the CAN bus, and the more gauges are active. Older units there is less data, so some of the gauges do not work.

The app does allow the user to layout the size and placement of the gauges in any way they desire. It also has two different gauge "modes", one is standard rotational gauges like in a vehicle, and another mode is what I call slider mode, which has horizontal gauges, and the indicator moves horizontally over the gauge. Both style of gauges also include a digital value.

I am selling the CANpod hardware, with the two apps for $750. I have made a deal with my buddies on forums I frequent that I will discount that $100, and I will offer the same deal to this forum. So, both apps, and CANpod hardware for $650.

I would highly suggest that we try some testing with older units first, as I have not tested with a Wanderlodge at this point.

Ray
PS: A couple of things I forgot to mention:

The app is available for a free download on the app store. https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt...46745&mt=8

It has a demo mode available. I invite you to download, and try it out, and see if this is something that does interest you. To get to demo mode, simply start the app. Wait about 5 seconds, and when the CANpod is not located it will put up a trouble-shooting dialog. On the dialog is a demo button.

Tap demo, and the app will stream data out of an internal file that I captured in my bus while driving to a service facility. The data will run for about 3 minutes. During that time you can try out any of the functionality, including gauge layout etc.

Also, I am located in Southern CA (Lake Forest). Anyone in the area I would be happy to get together and test in your vehicle to see how it works.