Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-06-2013

Default My turn to be stupid..a scary tale of woe!

So today was a day spent working on the generator and getting help from a number of people here on WOG. Here is the thread to that problem and its solution.

After figuring out the generator problem, I felt the need to check under the hood. Last week I installed an engine battery disconnect switch. It worked just fine, although I ran into a slight problem when I was installing the switch. I looked around the barn and couldn't find any red 2/0 cable to connect the disconnect switch back to the spot where the positive cable originally was connected. I did find a black 2/0 cable with ends and I knew this was an accident waiting to happen, if I used it. I intended to install the black 2/0 cable and "later" shrink-wrap it red. Danger, danger! Shrink-wrap the cable now with red, stupid! No, I install it confident that I will remember it is a positive cable and I will shrink-wrap it next week.

So today, I am back under the hood after working all day on the generator set. It's 95 degrees and I am at 5000 feet elevation, dehydrated, and dumb as a brick. I look at the black 2/0 cable I installed which is POSITIVE and I think "Son there has to be a better place to connect that cable to ground" Earth to Neal "DANGER, DANGER:. Screw-off earth, I know what I am doing .

So I find a place that is more out of the way to connect the "GROUND". I connect the 2/0 black to a more out of the way ground. Of course, no sparks because the newly installed switch is in the OFF position. Then about 10 minutes later I decide to run the engine for a bit...you see this coming, right? I open the hood, flip the switch and HOLY SMOKE starts pouring off the cables. I get a rag and flip the switch to OFF and the smoke begins to disperse. Total fry job on the positive and negative engine battery cables . After disconnecting all the battery cables (or what is left of them), I went into the coach thinking that I may have gotten off cheap. Maybe, but the check engine light is ON and a buzzer is blaring. Found the buzzer and disconnected it (#1111 up front under the electrical cover) and then pulled the panel with the check engine light and unplugged it.

So why am I telling this tale of woe and stupidity? I knew that putting the black cable where a red cable belongs was dangerous, but did it anyway. Let my lesson, stop you from repeating my miserable attempt to arc-weld with three engine batteries! I could have burned the coach to the ground, so I guess whatever I have to pay to resurrect the 12 volt engine side will be cheap in comparison.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 07-06-2013

Hate it for you man, better days are coming.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 07-06-2013

Wow Neal! That's what I call providing some drama All I can say is I'm glad the coach is still there and hopefully the damage will be minimal. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This is probably a good time to take a break, get an adult beverage of your choice and just chill out. Give it a couple of days before tackling it again and maybe you will have calmed down enough to fix it.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 07-06-2013

You are alive to tell the story!! That is the awesome part! I think the amount of "light ups" it takes to learn the lessons is proportional to the fear each puts in you.... my feet still tingle.
3208T 250hp
Allison MT-643
Rear End 5.29
Old 07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene View Post
You are alive to tell the story!! That is the awesome part! I think the amount of "light ups" it takes to learn the lessons is proportional to the fear each puts in you.... my feet still tingle.
Stupid is, as stupid does...and I did it! I am alive and my blood pressure is only 112/74, my pulse is up there though and this is after two beers. I am grateful that it was only as bad as it was. Thanks Ben!

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers
Old 07-06-2013

Many of us have done things just as bad....or worse. Be thankful that you are OK and the bus will survive.
I could tell you about turning on high pressure propane to a low pressure hose.......and having my back turned to it so I didn't see the "balloon" that was forming before it blew......but I won't
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-07-2013

You have no reason to feel stupid, it was just a mistake. I find at age 66 I can not depend on remembering so I feel that I could very very easily have done the same and if the "other' guys are honest with themselves they will as well.

I find that I have to fix things more then once often and it's because I am learning. (Second or third time around the block things start to go better) but I have found out that any time I do ANY THING if I take a short cut it ALWAYS bits me. So I am trying to tell myself to slow down and take the time it requires to make every effort to do it as correctly as possible the first time.

Thank you for telling on yourself because it just might save anyone of us from doing the same or similar.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post

Thank you for telling on yourself because it just might save anyone of us from doing the same or similar.
Lots of value there.......and another reason for the forum.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-07-2013
Administrator

Neal,
thanks for the story and warning, we take batteries for granted, they are very dangerous and a good reminder from you.
Old 07-07-2013

Thanks for the wonderful thoughts folks, it is appreciated. I told this story in the hopes that someone would learn from my error.

Now that the smoke has cleared I need to source out new cables. Does anyone have the lengths/specs for both the ground and positive cables? Were the original cables 2/0? If I went with building my own, does anyone have the crimping tools to lend or rent? Has anyone here built there own cables?

Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Map of Service Centers