Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-09-2014

Ok...success! The OEM fixed/passenger side couch in our FC comes apart/loose as Steve & Dennis described above - the actual top cushion is fixed to the lower frame and this entire assembly has to be handled as one unit. The seat belt bolts do not have to be removed - the fasteners for this assembly are small metal "L" brackets around the front perimeter and several pan head screws into the rear wall. The couch fits VERY tight and will have to be wiggled out.

The drivers side "fold out" couch was dissembled into the bottom section which easily is removed from the sliders by removing several pan head screws from under the couch. The fold-able back section was unscrewed from the base at the lower hinge - about 10 screws.

Measuring and eyeballing I thought the couch sections would fit through the big window behind the passenger seat. Removed the window frame stop button (hex head pin screw on top of frame) and the plastic magnet for the alarm allows the window to open up all the way...and the couches fits through with about 1" clearance.

Thought this might help others...now off to the upholsterers and the ATM!!!

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79

Last edited by Frank W.; 02-09-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2014

Default Drivers seat base - cracked mounting rail?

As we continue updating our interior...

Today was examining the front seat bases in prep for installing the new seats which just arrived. The top slider rail for the drivers seat has at the rear a cutout that appears to be made to allow a coil spring which is mounted just below the rail some extra clearance...this weakened this area of the rail and one side of the seat rail has a crack at the narrow point of the rail adjacent to this hole.

Has anyone else seen this type of damage?

I am thinking of using some angle steel and reinforcing this area...thoughts?

Old 03-13-2014

Pictures?
Westchester Sandblast
Old 03-13-2014

Last edited by Frank W.; 03-27-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2014

FC Spring Fling

Just some end notes on our efforts to dress up some cosmetic issues on our FC. Our preference in making many of our upkeep decisions on our coach is that we try to keep it close to the OEM classic appearance.

Re-upholstery of the front couches. It was past time to update the fabric on the couches. We found a local upholstery shop and had them do the skilled labor. We removed the couches as previously detailed and delivered them to the shop. We kept the existing springs, but specified new high density foam and had the fabric treated for stain resistance. The shop followed the OEM style of “semi-detached” cushions for each couch. 25 yards of material were used. Finished product looks and sits great – I regret that we waited so long to do this upgrade.

Fabric: Crypton Aumont Way Ocean Blue #11475985. 50k double rub wear rating. This is a blue/tan flame pattern that is similar to (but richer in color tone) to the OEM fabric.

Replace OEM drivers & passenger seats. The old drivers seat had some areas of heavy leather wear – mostly at at the outboard edge near the doghouse. We explored just recovering the seats...but were advised due to age to replace the entire cover, foam and springs. After pricing our options we decided to replace both seats with new. We selected a similar size and style to the OEM set in ultraleather and opted for adjustable lumbar support, high density foam, and HD springs. I explored doing a “truck style” replacement seat – some of those really look fine and would seem to offer great comfort but based on our preference to follow the OEM BB look we went this way...I still drool over the Recaro Ortho seat I saw.

Just FYI: although we choose to get new seats, others might consider having custom made sheepskin covers made for existing seats. We found on Ebay a vendor who would make custom sheepskin covers for RV seats for about $500 a pair. Many die colors available. They would be a nicely priced and easy "dress up" for tired old seats.

Seat size is critical for the FC due to the doghouse – so select carefully. We replaced only the actual seat assembly – the entire motorized mount was not removed and the seat bodies are held to the mount with 4 bolts with easy access.

I noted some areas of potential concern while working on the seats:

One was that the drivers seat motorized mounting plate to which the seat body is attached to was cracked in two places at the rear mounting area. I could see that this was causing excessive stress to an adjoining area also and in time the rear seat mounts would have perhaps failed. This was caused due to the maker cutting a hole to allow access for a coil spring. On replacing the seats I used some angle steel to re-enforce this area. I suggest checking for this issue – if both sides go it would cause much more difficult repairs. My fix was to weld a 6” section of angle steel to reinforce the area.

Check your seat control wires also for abrasion. I found that the wiring harness needed re-taping and securing with flex ties to protect from chafe due to normal seat movement. Re-grease the screw-shafts on the seat mechanism.

The mounting/sliding hardware had some issues on the passenger seat. I found two of the plastic “guides” that tighten up the slider had dropped out. I reinstalled them by lubing them and forcing them up the channel with a punch then a thin steel strip. I also found 1 of the 4 mounting bolts missing. After replacing these parts – no more excess “wiggle”.

Seat Source: shop4seats.com Model: Allente

Refinish dinette leather cushions. We had a 2” cut in one of the leather seat cushions at the dinette. I found a local upholstery repair shop to repair the damage. They did an excellent job and also pointed out that the overall leather was in great shape, but the finish was beginning to wear. I had them “re-spray/die” the entire cushion and it looked fantastic. I bought two extra spray cans of the product they used and re-sprayed the remaining cushions. As the leather was itself in good condition all I did was clean the leather, let it dry well, and re-sprayed with several light coats. All wear marks are covered and they look great.

Product: SEM Color Coat. #15043 Shadow Blue is a near exact match to our OEM navy blue leather. Found locally at a professional auto paints shop.

Once we get the winter bus cover off and a sunny day I'll add some photos to our WOG photo album showing this work.

Last edited by Frank W.; 03-27-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2014

Looking forward to seeing the improvements. Sounds very nice.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-16-2014

Frank, I don't know if this will help you, but I have the old seat base I removed from mine when I put in the air ride seats. Only one left but free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140315_101204.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	27576  
Westchester Sandblast
Old 03-18-2014

Thanks Tom - I'm good! I welded in what I think is "the fix" and expect no issues.

If you compare both mounts...you see the relatively large cut out hole in mine which is the root of the issue. It seems this hole allows the seat to "lower/tilt" a bit more by allowing the coil spring to rise into the hole.

Old 03-27-2014

Finally...a sunny day to snap a photo. We are so tired of ice and snow! Time to get on a road trip. This is showing the new couch covering and new seats. Also my first try taking a still photo with the new GoPro (the moderate wide angle shows coach interior very well)

Old 03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
Finally...a sunny day to snap a photo. We are so tired of ice and snow! Time to get on a road trip. This is showing the new couch covering and new seats. Also my first try taking a still photo with the new GoPro (the moderate wide angle shows coach interior very well)

Nice!
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656