Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-08-2015
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quick comment...

Check out the bus ramps and how versatile they are!

You should keep that in mind when you build ramps for your bus otherwise you'll end up with a set of custom ramps that only do one thing and sit for years between use. I've used my ramps 80% of the time for non bus related projects.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Thanks for the update Van. As far as reducing weight on the front axle... Are you considering fabricating a bay that you could slide into the space? Your thoughts?
The 380 dual slide model is naturally left side heavy and the front axle is at or over gross. 9" rims and 315's only compensate for the real problem which is too much weight up front. Removing 450# from right over the front axle and substituting it for the old LP tank aft of the rear axle, should move the coach CG aft and unload > 500# from up front . If I leave the 4Ds in place and put lawn chairs in my new but mostly empty "LP" compartment, I would actually ADD weight to the front axle because the CG would shift forward thanks to the heavy LP tank removal (it would normally help lift weight off the front axle). During the almost 1 hour drive back from Mike's place two days ago I noticed the front tires heated up pretty fast and much higher than normal. Whether or not that was due to the front tires being loaded up more or the crazy 110 degree Phoenix ambient temps, I'm not sure. But the TPMS "High Temp" alarm went off about 2/3's of the way (at 134 psi)! That morning I had adjusted all tires to what I typically run - 115 psi front and 110 rear. Hey Jim, have you noticed anything like that?

Nancy is right, the new fridge is awesome. A thousand thanks to Ron R. and Jim B. for leading the way! Will never go back. The new bay will be permanent so won't plan on using an inserted box. It will be built strong enough to support everything and likely use a slide. Last Q was a working event. Hope to have the bus done for next one and enjoy the experience more

As to Mike's preference for golf cart batts over lithiums, I agree that $/watt there is no better value. However if weight/aH becomes the standard and CC's are paid off , lithiums offer huge advantages. Thanks Mike for the idea of moving the inverter too. Hate the thought of moving it since I just got it installed but it does make sense. Loved those smaller ramps and they're now on my "list".
Old 07-09-2015

I was thinking it might be easier to build the bay on the ground, similar to a D container, then slide and bolt it in..
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 07-09-2015

This is my idea of how storage bays should be built!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	36649  
Old 07-09-2015

[B]Van,

I don't have tpm's on my coach, but have not noticed any overloading issues in the almost 60,000 miles I have driven with the 295/80's. I have only weighted my coach once (returning from Alaska) and the front axle was at 14,040. I am sure that if I was driving 75 or so in 110 ambient the tires would get hotter than that do at 62 to 65 in 95 ambient. I run my fronts at 115 and will give serious consideration to going to 315's on the front next time to lower the pressures, but it is certainly not a priority.

On a different subject, would be interested in your choice of over the air TV antenna and your opinion of it. I need to get something better and looking for advice.
Old 07-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
[B]Van,
On a different subject, would be interested in your choice of over the air TV antenna and your opinion of it. I need to get something better and looking for advice.
Jim, I am extremely happy with the good old fashioned Winegard Bat Wing I took off my enclosed trailer. My saucer didn't do diddly. Cracked and corroded. Before buying something new I thought I would try the bat wing just to see what would happen. I was pretty amazed. So I mounted it to the stand and never looked back. I usually get more channels than my neighbors - and that is without even raising it. . Cost factor = $0. Me happy camper
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 07-10-2015

Default Will house fridge work with your configuration?

Early in my boondocking "career" I discovered the Electrical & Solar page on jackdanmayer.com's excellent site. If you are even remotely thinking of going off-the-cord with your planned all-electric coach, you should give this page a once over:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

His downloadable spreadsheet can tell you how much solar panel capacity (or generator run time) you will need to replace the juice used by your new fridge, when off the cord. I found the results reassuring before I bit the bullet on the Samsung:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/Files/So...frigerator.xls

PS - answered JB's antenna question directly, a Winegard Roadstar and yes satisfied.
Old 03-18-2016

Default Battery Comparison

Trying to avoid going Lithium (and keep Putz smiling ) so am re-looking at Lead options. Worked up the attached chart to compare weights and costs of installing a 600 Ah usable capacity pack. The comparisons are interesting. Promising are the Trojan L-16's but they're SO heavy. Lead's downside of course is weight. Lithiums have lots of advantages but the biggest is NOT hauling an extra 500 lbs around for 5-10 years. However, compared to lead their heat issues need a solution...

Am not convinced yet that I want to sleep right next to an 800 Ah lithium battery pack. However for a good primer on lithium basics and if you haven't seen the install done by Nina & Paul over at Wheelingit.us - check it out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Compare.pdf (52.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-18-2016
Forum owner

I have a lith iron battery,and i have never seen any heat in it at all,other than ambient heat and maybe some off the engine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-18-2016

Default Lithium Heat

Yes, Randy. The problem is not heat generated by the pack, it's the decreasing pack capacity when it is used in higher ambient temps. Technomadia.com documented this side effect in their long-term lithium evaluation. Additionally, I've seen times when my lithium powered scooter will not charge in a HOT garage. Brought it inside with A/C and all issues disappeared. Since our coach currently spends time in Phoenix where summer temps are commonly > 100 degrees (even at night ) that is a concern. Perhaps bringing the pack inside like Nina & Paul did is the answer? New coach manufacturers are installing lithiums in that manner for this exact reason. However, I'd like to keep mine in a bay and that will mean some form of cooling. There is a solution; I just have to find it - or go with lead