Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-23-2015

Default Samsung Model Number Question

I have read every thread I could find on the Samsung refrigerator replacement for the gas/electric fridge in a WB side aisle. The model number I found referenced by a number of folks here is the 18 cu. ft. Samsung Model RF197. Yet when I go to the Samsung site I find no reference to this model number. My guess is that the model has been replaced by a newer model NW2 17.8 cu.ft. If this is so, does anyone know if this newer model is comparable to the older RF197 in efficiency and will it run on a MSW inverter as the older model did? Thanks for any assistance!

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 03-23-2015

Hi Neil,

Says they still sell it.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/h.../RF197ACRS/XAC

Bought ours thru RC Willey. Running the same basic solar set-up as yours and didn't need to run our generator for over a week while we were in Quartzsite a couple weeks ago. Our coach draw is higher than yours so given good sunny days you'll probably have no need to run your generator.

Solar, Lithiums and the Residential Fridge have made the last 3 months of boon docking easy, enjoyable and worry free.
Old 03-23-2015

Thanks Kevin, I misread the info at Samsung.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 03-23-2015

Neal

Jim B installed a RF197 in his M380 last year. See this thread but check post #30, where I outline that last year's RF197 has been replaced with a far less efficient model. Looks like it may still be available in Canada though. Although refurbished RF197's can be found in the US, a brief search revealed no new ones at the big US on-line appliance outfits. Am now considering the Fisher-Paykel RF170ADX4, though it is slightly less efficient than the Samsung RF197 and also more expensive.

Van
Old 03-24-2015

Bummer!! I agree why would Samsung replace it with a less efficient unit.

If it helps…

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-RF197A.../dp/B003T60UDY
Old 03-24-2015

They had a problem with very slow ice production. Could be they redesigned to fix the problem. A 30% increase in power usage is surprising, but with the low usage to begin with, I'd be more concerned about the electrical design and whether they moved away from their AC to DC conversion. Anybody know?

We like ours, but slow ice production means the compressor runs almost continuously, which would not be in the original power usage analysis. This could mean that the new one in making ice at the rate we use, may not use more power at all. I'd really like to know about the compressor voltage.

The Fisher-Paykel is nice, but it has sharp corners. Not ideal in a tight corridor. Then you have to address the modified sine wave inverter issue.
Old 04-12-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Default Another Gas Ref bits the dust

Mine Dometic quit, so I am in the market. Problem or course is the RF197 is discontinued and we really don't know about the new RF18HFENBSR.
There is no info on Samsung web to indicate if the new one is inverter Technology or not. And no store that I can find stocks counter model.
And no store I have talked to has any more information than we do.
So I am going to shake the bush one last time before I order the new one.

Has anyone got any more info on the RF18?
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-12-2015
Forum owner

i can make you a great deal on a norcold fridge!
hahahaa!!
i just installed the new samsung,looks just like the discontinued one to me.
except the power cord goes in the top,instead of the back.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-12-2015
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Mine Dometic quit, so I am in the market. Problem or course is the RF197 is discontinued and we really don't know about the new RF18HFENBSR.
There is no info on Samsung web to indicate if the new one is inverter Technology or not. And no store that I can find stocks counter model.
And no store I have talked to has any more information than we do.
So I am going to shake the bush one last time before I order the new one.

Has anyone got any more info on the RF18?
Hi Mallie,

I don't know anything about them but here’s a link to the owner’s manual for an RF18 that’s on Home Depot’s site – it says it has an inverter compressor:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/c9/c9aa28e1-c5b3-4b06-ab4c-ea36f358c31f.pdf

Inverter compressor (RF18*RF20*)

Its imported high effective inverter compressor reduces power consumption of the refrigerator, lowers noise while operation, operates different states at different frequency, and is advantageous in freezing capacity and cooling speed.

NOTE: The Home Depot site also has this in the reviews – it may or may not be true but might be worth looking into:

This is a great counter-depth fridge. When it's on sale for $998, it's a great buy.

Considering that this refrigerator isn't wide or deep, the interior is surprisingly spacious. Both the refrigerator and freezer compartments offer lots of useful space.

But now a warning. This refrigerator is taller than the measurements suggest. The specifications say that the refrigerator is 70 inches tall at the top of the doors and hinges. That's true. But beware ...

The refrigerator is SEVERAL INCHES TALLER than the specs say. At its tallest point, the refrigerator is about 72 inches above the floor. This matters if you have cabinets above the refrigerator.

Those extra two inches are occupied by a metal box containing all the electronics for the refrigerator. Most refrigerator manufacturers put the circuit boards deep inside the case down by the compressor.

But Samsung moved them up to a little penthouse atop the refrigerator. You can't see it in the photos, and the manufacturer's web site doesn't mention it, but it's up there, and it sticks up higher than the top of the cabinet or the hinges or the door.

Pros: Looks Great
Cons: misleading measurements
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 04-12-2015

I posted this on another thread. Be sure to check the KW usage sticker closely, the new ones have yellow numbers and say to only compare to others with yellow numbers. The older ones have black numbers. Indicates to me that the testing procedures have changed!!