Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-10-2015
Old Old Member

Default weekend problems

Drove about 600 miles this weekend. Picked up my dad Friday, brought him to my place, then brought him back Sunday evening. Needed to use the bus, as he's not in great shape, and he needed to use the recliner and bed while travelling.....never thought I would use it for that purpose !
Anyways, when arriving at his place to pick him up, my bus wouldn't start. Batteries/charging system was ok, had to bang on starter to get going. I can figure that one out. Second, while running the roof a/c, big leaks coming from the front upper console. I can figure that one out also. Here is the one I need help with. After driving for a bit, the headlight warning buzzer goes off...........in daylight, with headlights off. My fix was to turn the headlights on, and the buzzer stopped. Dropping him back off, same thing happened. Where do I start on this one ? Stupid Bus If there was a previous post on this problem, I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated !
Old 08-10-2015

I would inspect the headlight switch and consider replacing the switch...they are inexpensive and give trouble.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-Yu...f56516&vxp=mtr

Take the old one to NAPA or your favorite parts store & ask them to match...
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil K View Post
... After driving for a bit, the headlight warning buzzer goes off...........in daylight, with headlights off. My fix was to turn the headlights on, and the buzzer stopped. Dropping him back off, same thing happened. ...
Phil:

I have had this alarm occur 3-4 times since I have owned my 85PT40 and like you, cancelled the alarm by turning the headlights on. It seems to happen after several hours of running. It does not give an alarm the following morning on startup.

My other symptom is that I do not have an alarm if the headlights are on and the key is turned off, which is how its supposed to work, I think.

It still gives this alarm following replacement of my headlight switch.

In my case, the problem has not reached the top of the things to do list, but I would be interested to see how you fixed it.

len.mcleod@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
I would inspect the headlight switch and consider replacing the switch...they are inexpensive and give trouble.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-Yu...f56516&vxp=mtr

Take the old one to NAPA or your favorite parts store & ask them to match...
Same with the ignition switch, however starter working after a hammer hit indicates time for a new piece.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-11-2015
Old Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Same with the ignition switch, however starter working after a hammer hit indicates time for a new piece.
It looks like this problem has happened before, but no real solution yet ?
I will take the switch out this weekend, maybe start by ordering one.
I'll clean the old one also and see what happens. Hard to test out as I might have to drive for a while before the headlight buzzer even goes off.
It might not even go off........and then did I really solve this issue ?

Mike, I don't understand what you mean about the ignition switch ? Is it somehow tied to the headlight switch ? I was going to replace the starter this winter, but as it worked, other projects moved in front of it. (Wish I had a pit.) That won't be an easy thing to change out.
Old 08-11-2015
Gardner

Mine does the same thing occasionally, never figured it out. There must be a circuit drawing somewhere. With that it can be diagnosed once and for all.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-11-2015

Default Headlight buzzer issues

Quote:
Drove about 600 miles this weekend. Picked up my dad Friday, brought him to my place, then brought him back Sunday evening. Needed to use the bus, as he's not in great shape, and he needed to use the recliner and bed while travelling.....never thought I would use it for that purpose !
Anyways, when arriving at his place to pick him up, my bus wouldn't start. Batteries/charging system was ok, had to bang on starter to get going. I can figure that one out. Second, while running the roof a/c, big leaks coming from the front upper console. I can figure that one out also. Here is the one I need help with. After driving for a bit, the headlight warning buzzer goes off...........in daylight, with headlights off. My fix was to turn the headlights on, and the buzzer stopped. Dropping him back off, same thing happened. Where do I start on this one ? Stupid Bus If there was a previous post on this problem, I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated !
I'm curious if this headlight buzzer issue is consistent in nature, or does it sometimes work correctly? I read that you have condensate water coming in over your upper left dash, it's a long shot, but it could lead to erratic functions in electrical circuits. I have worked on Peterbilt trucks that had a leaky windshield, and the water would migrate down to some of the air pressure switches on a junction block behind the kick panel in front of the pedals, and it would set off the low air pressure buzzer (if my memory serves me right). This would happen every time it rains.
Trinityoilsupply@gmail.com
Trinityoilsupply.com
Old 08-11-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:

Mike, I don't understand what you mean about the ignition switch ? Is it somehow tied to the headlight switch ? .
Yes, there are a lot of things powered through the ignition switch either directly or through a relay or solenoid, replacing ignition switches is a fairly common issue.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-11-2015
Old Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
I'm curious if this headlight buzzer issue is consistent in nature, or does it sometimes work correctly? I read that you have condensate water coming in over your upper left dash, it's a long shot, but it could lead to erratic functions in electrical circuits. I have worked on Peterbilt trucks that had a leaky windshield, and the water would migrate down to some of the air pressure switches on a junction block behind the kick panel in front of the pedals, and it would set off the low air pressure buzzer (if my memory serves me right). This would happen every time it rains.

I'll have to compare notes with Len and Gardner to see if this only happens in wet circumstances ! But that is a great point. The leaks are from the front roof a/c, and hoping to get to that this weekend.
Old 08-11-2015
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Mine does the same thing occasionally, never figured it out. There must be a circuit drawing somewhere. With that it can be diagnosed once and for all.

It seems to me like there was a wiring modification to fix those intermittent headlight alerts posted on one of the old forums a few years ago?

If I get a chance, I'll look through my notes tonight to see if I can find any info.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001