Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-07-2017

Default Hurricane Antifreeze Flush

Decided it was time to flush the old antifreeze out of the system per the ITR maintenance schedule plus I'd noticed the overflow tank liquid had turned dark. This was my first time to do this. Found good system drawings in the BB drawing files so I could figure out what to do. Pretty easy job really. Below is what I did stepwise:
1. Turned off Hurricane local and remote switches to remove power and let it set for a couple of days so it would cool off.
2. Undid the self tapping screws holding the flush manifold to facilitate hose connections to the flush valves.
3. Purchased 12 feet of ⅝" ID heater hose for circulation lines.
4. Installed hose bib connections to the heater hoses to connect to circulation pump.
5. Used a Flotec 5 gpm utility pump for circulation.
6. Set up two 5 gallon buckets to serve as mixing tank and flush collection tank.
7. Coach heating system has two parallel loops, one of which has a ball valve and the other loop is wide open.
8. Flushed each loop separately with tap water using hose pliers to isolate one loop and the ball valve to isolate the other. Old antifreeze was color of root beer. Took 30 gallons of water to clear the system.
9. Repeated the same process to fill the system with 50-50 mix of CAMCO boiler antifreeze/water. Took 3-4 gallons of CAMCO.

Please note in the attached picture, the valve on the hose to the discharge tank had to be closed when the circulation pump was off or the system would syphon out liquid and pull air in through the overflow tank. I assume the old off color antifreeze I flushed out was the result of the PO using incompatible antifreeze solutions. Don't have any other explanation.
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 02-07-2017

Default Hurricane Picture

Sorry, didn't get image attached in first post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	47292  
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 02-08-2017

Default Hurricane Flush & Honeywell Thermostats

DonB explains the system operation & flush-out really well HERE.

During my H rebuild last April (see that thread HERE), I flushed the rebuilt system like you. However, instead of new heater hose I used old garden hose since it was cheap & available. For fresh water radiator line zone flushing, a female garden hose fitting on one end allowed direct connect to fresh water hose bib. Connected to "flushing manifold" without removing anything. Turned the faucet on and let her run with plain water till system flushed out. Once water ran clear, created a closed loop like you did with buckets. Ran pump with that closed loop to eliminate bubbles from lines. Once no bubbles from either zone emerged, substituted Camco boiler fluid in inlet bucket till it ran out into the outlet bucket. Though green + pink fluid = brown, color change with age & rust is just as likely. Suspect few systems have been flushed out like this so their radiator zones are filled with really OLD "sludge" fluid. Doubt many follow ITR's recommended service schedule. Balancing loop flow like DonB did makes it all work more efficiently.

Also if you haven't done so, adding two digital Honeywell thermostats for Hydronic and electric toe kick heaters - in bathroom like DonB did is a great addition! Rewired T-Stat connections in Hurricane control box so Zone 1 (front of coach) heat is controlled by standard Dometic T-Stat above dining table and Zones 2 & 3 (bedroom & bathroom) are controlled by Honeywell Hydronic T-Stat above the lavatory sink. That way during night with front slider door closed, front-of-coach heat can be reduced but bath & bedroom kept toasty. Digital Honeywell T-stat now controls both rear heat zones & this worked well on recent cold Q nights!

PS - Rooftop AC units both still controlled by the one Dometic T-stat above the dining table.
Old 02-09-2017

Thanks for post Eric,
I need to do this in Yuma, my hour meter is at 1700, and I doubt the Hurricane has ever been serviced..
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats