Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-06-2008

Question cheater precautions??

We're hooked up to 30 amps in norhern New Mexico - couldn't get a 50 spot. Darned breaker popped without a/c and what I believed was less than 20 amp draw. I plugged in my cheater and have had smooth sailing however I'm treating it as 30 amps. How much can I actually pull cheating fron 2 - 30 amp ckts. Thanks
Ed Nowokunski 95BMC37
Old 05-07-2008
Former Bird Owner

I ran into a lousy 30 amp circuit at an RV park near the Redwoods in California. The breaker would pop with hardly any load. This was my first trip after getting my coach home. I've since used 30 amps many times with rarely any problems. I realized that the poor first experience with 30 amps was most probably a bad circuit breaker on the power pedestal.

Theoretically, you should be able to pull 60 amps (but no more than 30 amps per leg) with a cheater cord plugged into two 30 amp circuits. However, a weak breaker or other problems with the power pedestal may result is an experience that's below the theoretical maximum.

Don't forget that the coach may have hidden draws -- battery charger, electric element in AquaHot (for domestic hot water), etc. So there may actually be fewer amps available for your use than you realize.

If the batteries were low, once they've recovered the battery charger will be pulling much fewer amps, leaving more for other uses.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com